Balance and falling

i was wondering if anyone out there has experience with a loved one suffering from brain mets that has had balance issues. My mother in law is really losing her balance lately and my husband and i are at a loss at to what to do. she's just finished radiation and we thought at first it was the weakness from that, but a week later, she's still losing balance. We are getting a Lifeline installed (the monitor system) but we don't currently live with her - we do go over there every night around 7 pm and cook for her and stay the night every night. Does Medicare cover home health aides that would help out during the day? Does anyone know of any other solutions? Thanks for your help.

My husband has suffered from dizziness and balance problems every since his brain radiation that ended 11/02.

It does get somewhat better with time. But he has good days and bad days. Doctors kinda of say, not much can be done.

We just hope it keeps improving.

hi- i think the deparment on aging in your state may be able to offer personal care assistents- they may not be able to give medications- but the can help with meals, etc... also - is her blood sodium low? that can cause issues like that in some people- in which case- depending on how much is being consumed- she may need a fluid restriction.. hth..

My mom has balance and coordination issues with her brain mets. She tripped in a department store here and fell on her chin. This was prior to her being diagnosed with these newest brain tumors. She had one removed previously four years ago or so.

Anyway, I worry about her too. I've made her take her cordless phone with her into the bathroom if she's going to shower and my Dad isn't home. If it doesn't get better I think we'll have to look into something more.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Medicare to help you there. Good luck.

Amy

I have heard that balance and coordination problems were one of the main side effects of brain radiation. However, if that is the cause, it generally gets better with time after the treatments are completed.

Also, depending on the location of the Mets, it could be from the tumors, and as they shrink, these symptoms may be relieved.

I haven't had any experience with this, thank God, but have a few good friends on this site who I've talked with that have been there, and I've read a bit on it.

I will say some prayers for your mom, that she be feeling more agile soon.

Sorry to hear about the balance and dizziness issues that your Mother is dealing with. We too are dealing with some of these issues. I think my Fathers problems are due to brain and spinal mets, but could be due to radiation, he had 13 treatments or as he refers to the "Zaps". We are also interested in finding Home Care for him. He is a Stage IV NSCLC, diagnosed in April 2003, he has had 3 carbo/taxol treatments, which did no good, he will have his third taxotere treatment next week. He is beginning to wonder if it is all worth it. If anyone does have any experience with Medicare and Home Health, please post. This is a topic that is badly needed and that there are very few resources (readily available) on. We need to know what Medicare will cover. Likewise, will Hospice provide day care (4-5 hours /day) where we can continue to work and provide for our families while still having our sick parents, spouses, signicant other, or children cared for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Good Luck and May God Bless You,

Tracy

Shamrock and Tracy,

To get more info on medicare go to www.medicare.govand click on Home Health Care. You can also call your local Social Security Office and they can tell you what the guidelines are. I know that one's dr must set up the home health care program and as I recall some skilled nursing care must be part of it, also the patient must be somewhat homebound, etc. check the web sight each of you to see the four guidelines on home health care that the patient must meet.

As for hospice, I don't think they have a program where there is adult sitting during the day. Hospice either helps a dying person at their home or in the hospital. They help to make the person comfortable. They are not there constantly. They help the family with the work that is involved in taking care of a sick one. There are people who volunteer at Hospice but whether anyone would sit for 4 or 5 days, I sure doubt that.. YOu can find this out by calling your local hospice at your hospital.

Your loved one may have a booklet at home on Medicare. There are also special pamphlets on these subjects that you can order online or get from your local SS office... But, the best way to find the answer to each of your problems is to call you local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213.

It is a tough road having a sick loved one and trying to work to pay the bills and trying to be home too.