Chemo Question????? - appreciate any info.

EastCoastLadi

Today my husbands' new oncologist met w/ us and wants to start him next week on Taxol and then the week after add Topotecan w/ Taxol for chemo. I just wanted to know if anyone has or knows of anyone who has gone thru this particular chemo treatment.

If you know, what does he need to look out for, we of course went over all the side effects and additional tests he will need to go.

I definitely would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Grace

Grace,I was on Taxol and Carboplatin.Had a severe allergic reaction after a while to the Carboplatin and was then on only Taxol.

I had good results with it but was fatigued,sick at stomach a lot,however the results seemed worth the side effects.Lots of water seemed to make it easier to deal with.

I didn't have topotecan, but had irinotecan (with cisplatin). Both belong to the camptothecin class of drugs, so I think they are similar.

The biggest problems I had were low blood counts and diarrhea. However, I was also recieving pelvic radiation which was a factor in the severe diarrhea (lost about 10 lbs in 5 days), but after I started taking the lomotil (anti-diarrhea) it was under control. I also got aranesp and neulasta shots for the blood counts.

But I have to say that the irinotecan along with the radiation seemed to knock the residual cancer out of my small intestine!

Everywhere I read...water, water, water! This has really helped my dad because the times when he was not a good "drinker" he wound up in the hospital for infusions. I like Don's suggestion...everytime you drink you think, "I am washing this cancer away!"

God bless and good luck!

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

I never heard of Taxol being used for SCLC, I thought it was a treatment for NSCLC. However, Topotecan was one of the chemos they wanted to use on my dad when they discovered the mets. It prolongs survival by 24 weeks average. Side effects are worse than the ones for Cisplatin + Etoposide, that's what the docs said. Vomiting and diarrhea I also heard about, however not everyone reacts the same. Good Luck.

Hi Everybody.

Yes I had Topoteacan as my 2nd line and my onc couldnt even tell I was on it. I tolerated it better than the etoposide/carbo but I was more prepared and mentally ready for the treatment.

I am very serious about the water and drinking plenty of it and always saying am washing my cancer away. Remember your mind is more powerful than we realize. I also trusted the Lord that things would be as they needed to be. I just had my right hip replaced 27 Jun and am already out cutting grass, building fence and whatever else needs done on the ranch. Again, I just tell myself what a wonderful day to be doing something outdoors and isnt it just wonderful.

I read a comment about someones mailbox getting run over and they had to really try hard to keep it from ruining their day. I had to laugh because that happened to mine and everyone came out. Cops, tow truck, ambulance and when they asked if ambulance was needed I replied yes, my mailbox is dead. Point is , why worry about something so little. At least I didnt get any medical bills for a few days. See, the sunshines on it if you let it.

Use your mind to beat this because it is the only thing you as a individual have. And always trust the Lord.

God Bless

Don

Dennis' first line of chemo was irinotecan with cisplatin. He seemed to tolerate this treatment fairly well. He had very little nausea and was able to maintain his appetite. His blood counts did drop a couple of times with these drugs. When this chemo stopped working,topotecan was his second line treatment. He didn't handle this well at all. His appetite all but vanished and his blood counts dropped so low that he required transfusions. I suppose different patients handle all the various drugs very differently. Please listen to Don and make sure your husband has a bottle of water in his hand at all times. The more water he drinks, the easier this will be on his body. Please know that I will be remembering you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

And in additioin to the water, remember eat lots of watermelon for the Lycopene. It is proving to be a very good source of vitiamin and I did eat almost a half watermelon everyday. Plus it is a great source of water. Seems water is a big big issue.

God Bless

Don

thank you for all the great advice, my husband definitely drinks plenty of water, but I'm going to get some watermelon too. The pharmacist at the cancer center also told us about some supplements that he could take that wouldn't interfer w/ treatment, one has to do w/ amino acids. Also there is a supplement that I take called L-Carnitine, which is good for muscle building, but I take it for energy and it is also good for memory....

Grace