Percoset

daggiesmom

I have been taking Percoset 5mg/325 Acetominophen for a long time now. I took it for pain in my back where the tumor was. Now I'm taking it to relieve pain where they operated on me in December. It does help. However, does anyone know if this is addictive. Is it psychologically addictive or physically addictive. I wonder could I do without it entirely? Does anyone know? If you want to stop taking it, should you gradually decrease the amount? I guess what I really want to know is, can this become a full blown drug addiction?

Joanie

Any opioid drug (which Percocet is) can be addictive. However, when these medications are used to treat physical pain, it is extremely unlikely that patients will become addicted to them. Addiction is a psychological problem that very rarely affects people who take opioids for pain control. "Feeling high" from opiates does not happen to people who take them for pain control.

Joanie,

I think any type of drug like Percocet could become addicting, but then again because of my alcohol and drug history, I am more extreme than others. I don't do pain pills, and am reluctant to even take a tylenol unless absolutely necessary.

After surgery, I only had pain pills for 2 weeks. My surgeon told me that if I continued to take pain pills, my body would never adjust. He said that after surgery, your nerves keep sending messages to your brain, communicating the pain you are feeling. After awhile, your brain figures out how to ignore the message. He compared it to banging your finger hard, on a table, repeatedly. It really hurts, but if you keep going long enough, eventually the pain goes away and you just feel numbness. The Surgeon said that this is how your brain has to process the after affects of your surgery. In other words, the pain of surgery and your ribs and muscles and everything else never really goes away - the brain just learns somehow to ignore it. Basically, if you take pain pills, this interupts the body's natural way of processing pain and your brain never finds its natural way of ignoring the pain signal.

Not sure if that makes sense. By the way, if you do decide to stop taking the Percocet, I would suggest asking your doctor or pharmacist about going cold turkey or decreasing the dosage- some drugs shouldn't be just stopped.

Joel uses perosets when he has pain, and he does not get high from it, it just controls his pain. If he does take it when not in pain, he does get that high buzz. So he just limits himself to pain.

Sometimes it causes constipation in some people. It did that to him at first but not anymore. When his back hurts the perks will help but he has been taking 2 aleves lately and that is doing the trick.

Maryanne :wink:

Percocet

Generic Name: acetaminophen and oxycodone (a see tah MIH no fen and ox ee KOE done)

Brand Names: Endocet, Percocet-10/650, Percocet-2.5/325, Percocet-5/325, Percocet-7.5/500, Roxicet, Roxilox, Tylox

What is the most important information I should know about Percocet?

• Do not stop taking Percocet suddenly if you have been taking it continuously for more than 5 to 7 days. Stopping suddenly could cause withdrawal symptoms and make you feel uncomfortable. Your doctor may want to gradually reduce your dose.

• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Oxycodone may cause drowsiness or dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities.

• Avoid alcohol while taking Percocet. Alcohol may increase the drowsiness and dizziness caused by Percocet and could be dangerous. Also, acetaminophen can be toxic to your liver when taken with as little as 2 drinks of alcohol.

• Also avoid sleeping pills, tranquilizers, sedatives, and antihistamines except under the supervision of your doctor. These medications also may cause dangerous sedation.

• Percocet may cause constipation. Drink plenty of water (six to eight full glasses a day) to lessen this side effect. Increasing the amount of fiber in your diet can also help to alleviate constipation.

• Never take more Percocet than is prescribed for you. If your pain is not being adequately treated, talk to your doctor.

• Watch the acetaminophen content of other over-the-counter and prescription products while taking this medication. Do not take more than a total of 4 grams (4000 mg) of acetaminophen per day.

I was told that opoids taken for pain do not cause addiction. I have been on morphine sulphate almost since diagnosis. I take 2 30 mg daily. When I wanted to get off it the doctor first tried an alternative that was a disaster and then said to just keep on with what I am using. It works, we need no heros and it's a low dosage. So...

I do know that if you get off, make sure you talk with the doctor.

Good luck.

Mary

It is addictive and come off of it slowly. I had physical and mental addiction. I cryed and had pins and needle feels in my hands. It took about one wk. But I think it would depend on how much you took per day.

Guest akmaryann

My husband has been on percocet for 3 years now. He is currently getting 180 pills a month. Last month he overused and consequently ran out a week before he could get another prescription. He has addiction problems anyways but chose to drink extra hard since he didn't have pills. A week ago Friday we ended up in emergency once again.. he had DT's and halucinations and extreme pain in his abdomen. It was diagnosed as either alcohol or drug withdrawal, doc said it could have been either. It really depends on whether you already have addiction problems whether you will become addicted to this as well. He has and it is not a pretty sight.