Getting to Know You - August 18

Ann

It was so great reading about all the pets that you have, so I thought I'd continue along those lines.

Since your lives have been changed by cancer, either as a patient or caregiver, how have your animals reacted to the change? Do you think they have noticed a difference in you? How have they helped you through this difficult time?

I'm getting ready to enroll my golden retriever, Tanner Dog, into a therapy dog class. I really hope he can visit people that are ill and make a positive difference.

annsdog.jpg

Well, this is quite thought provoking...I do know this...my dog Rambo (4 lb yorkie) loves my dad. Rambo usually stays at mom and dad's when we go to the lake. Well, one time, during chemo, dad was sick and Rambo essentially woke my mom to tell her. Then, he wouldn't leave dad's side. Pretty amazing for the little runt!

During chemo they seemed to want more attention - and that was difficult because I felt so awful so much of the time.

Bailey (the Golden)detects ear infections and tumors on Abby (the Lab) so I worry if he gets too interested in any body part. He did sniff my back and side for a while after each surgery.

They weren't as affectionate as I expected but I may have been giving off "vibes" that discouraged them.

Ann, your Golden is gorgeous and is doing a great job leaving that ball on the chair.

Muriel

When Dennis was ill, our cat Jake, was still a kitten. There was something that made that cat realize that Dennis was very ill. Jake would not leave his side. This was unusual, as Jake was somewhat of a loner. When Dennis would sit in his recliner, Jake would spend hours with his head rested against Dennis' chest and would only move if Dennis got up. In the last two weeks, when we had to have a hospital bed, Jake would not leave the bed. He was quite a character if the nurses tried to move him. The hospital bed was in my bedroom. When Dennis died, Jake remained by his side until the end. For days afterwards, Jake would not come into my bedroom but would sit at the threshold and cry...or should I say wail...until it would break your heart. Sometimes, I think he can still see "things" that I am unable to see.

Well, I think the pets do know that something is different. One of our two Beagles, Molly, got more attentive to Lucie the first year she was struggling with the disease. She was so attentive, we called her "Nurse". I even snuck her into the hospital one time when Lucie was there -- Lucie was delighted but Molly was not. It was too foreign to her. Don

My parents dog flame, a lab, stayed by my dads side all the time. She's always been his dog as he's been retired (so home all the time) for the last few years. But she was so lost when he was in the hospital. When he's home along she sits with him (more than ever before). When my mom gets home or visitors come by, she takes a break. But as soon as the house is quiet, she's back at his side. Animals know when their people need them, that's for sure.

Your dog is beautiful. It would be wonderful if he could help people.

Kelsey our cat, was with Joel at his side when he had his operation. It was like she just knew.

Animals do have a 6 sense. Bless their little hearts.

Maryanne :wink: