Problems eating after radiation

tasha

Hello everyone, This is my first post. I just found all of you recently. My mom (63) was diagnosed on Sept. 1, 06 with limited sclc. She was treated with both comb. chemo and simultaneous radiation. She was given 4 cycles of chemo, each lasting 3 days and spread 3 weeks apart. She completed 30 rounds of radiation during the first 2 cycles of chemo. The final week of radiation was the first time my mom had any major side effects and eating was becoming painful. We assumed that with radiation completed... she was going to come through this no problem! Ha.

One week after her last radiation treatment, my mom had to be admitted to the hospital for both pain and nutrition management. They told us just for a few days to get her over the worst of it. She was there for 8 days. Part of the problem is that a lot of the pain meds make her nautious... or even gag and vomit. But we got through it and it seemed she was on the mend. She is now 4 weeks past radiation, she just completed her final chemo a few days ago (yeah) and we were hoping she'd be able to enjoy Thanksgiving. But she still cannot manage solid food. Even liquids cause discomfort. She still has pain when swollowing. The heartburn is terrible and she feels like she has a lump in her throat. She is taking all her meds and we know it isn't a yeast infection. When we try to guage if this is normal or if we should be concerned all we hear is that everyone is different. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can she expect this to go on and on? Is there hope yet for a nice Christmas? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you all and God Bless!

Tasha,

Hello and welcome to the community. Sorry you have to be here at all.

As for radiation, my friend (SCLC) had the same problem weeks after her radiation was completed. We all thought she was "out of the woods" and then the same symptoms you describe set in. She almosted choked on a spoonful of peanut butter. She also had horrible heartburn and was nauseated and vomiting. I know her Doctor gave her a few things to take for heartburn and something to swallow before eating to numb her throat that seemed to help.

Call the Doc to get your Mom some meds to help.

Hope this helps.

Welthy

Thank you Welthy! Wow, I wasn't sure if I would have to wait days for anyone to respond. We did call the doctor a couple of days ago. They increased her Protonix, but otherwise told her to just give it time. (She takes Lidocane (sp?) to numb and soothe, but is unable to stomach the carafate. She also takes Mylanta. They all do a little, but not enough to help much. How long did your friend struggle before eating somewhat normally again?

Hi Tasha, I am sorry your mom is having problems eating. I had only minor problems compared to your mom. Mostly with acid type foods were bad; anything with tomato or cranberry, or any crunchy or scratchy foods like corn chips or crackers.

I eased back into regular food, but noticed much improvement within a week after treatment ended.

I was able to eat lots of ice cream and vanilla shakes, they seemed to cool my throat especially after treatment. Also grapes and watermelon went down easy. Loaded mashed potatoes, potato soup and mac&cheese too.

Hope your Mom's eating improves soon.

Barb

Thank you! I really do appreciate this board and everyone on here. Just reading through other posts my mom and I have learned so much. Your bios are very inspirational and make me want to reach out to each of you as well. You are all in my prayers!

Any other stories, or if the "lump in throat" sensation is familiar to anyone, please reply.

Thanks Again!!!

As I recall, it was a few weeks before she was chomping away on sandwiches, etc. again. You mentioned Mylanta -- I remember she was also taking that too. Sounds like your Doc is giving everything that is available. I guess she will have to "tough out" the next few weeks. I remember my friend losing a lot of weight during this time also, so put as many calories in your Mom as you can.

Hope things get better for your Mom soon!

Welthy

My wife had trouble swallowing after radiation in the throat area. We went to liquids and soft foods with lots of calories like Ensure, Boost, Frosties, Smoothies, etc. For acid reflux, the onc prescribed (at my suggestion) Nexium, which worked for my wife. She went off it when she didn't need it anymore. Don

At the pharmacy, the pharmacist offered to add "flavor" to my carafate. They gave it a double dose of grape and it was STILL nasty, but really did do the duty I had to take it for. I've never had anything nearly as nasty in my life, but it DID help. Call the pharmacy where you picked up her prescription and see if they can either add flavor to it or give you the flavor to add - it's what they do for children's medicines to make 'em go down easier.

I would think that so many of us have gone through this, it would be "normal", BUT, treatable to some degree and relievable to an extent. Always, ALWAYS call when there is pain and a danger, such as malnutrition. Medicine has come a long way and all symptoms should be controllable to some extent. No one should be miserable, seek answers as to why and get it fixed.

Good luck,

Becky

Tasha,

Welcome to the boards. I am so sorry that you need to be here, but I am glad you found us.

My dad had a very hard time with this, and quite frankly it still isn't really over...now he struggled getting bread products down. They have talked about stretching his esophagus or checking on acid reflux.

There is most certainly hope for it...and just be sure to talk to your doc. I loved the advice I got that said, do whatever you have to do to feel good...fighting cancer takes a ton of energy and you need it all to go to the cancer and not to the other stuff!

Best of luck and God bless,

Jen

Tasha,

Tell Mom to hang in there. So far as I know this is pretty common. I was so bad I couldn't hardly swallow water and to top things off, the food I could swallow tasted horrible. After an esophageal stricture adventure I got so well I could almost swallow a pea if it was mashed up for me.

Seriously, it's been three years since my PCI and graduation from oncology treatment and I still have swallowing problems.

Help her start on things like ice cream and custards and avoid well done, stringy meat or any "dry" foods. Get her programmed to do itty, bitty bites and chew them into a near liquid state before trying to swallow.

Throughout the process, besides losing my hair, I lost nearly 50 pounds body weight. I'm now back to close to where I started and am actually trying to keep the weight down. It's been right around three years now and I still have occasional problems. We went to a banquet a couple weeks back and I dug into a great looking prime rib but tried to swallow too soon and ended up going through the old gag and choke routine.

Remember, small portions chewed to oblivion along with any liquids she can get down. Slow and steady is our course.

Tell Mom Hi and Good Luck.

Thank you one and all! God bless you. Anyone else, please share your stories. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions and words of hope. Even the "not so bright side" stories may help her keep this in perspective. Have a great day everyone.

Tasha..

I think those of us who have done radiation can feel for your mom. We've been there.

My throat wasn't so much as sore but felt moe swollen.. like nothing would fit down there. Turns out yes, it was very swollen and narrowed. It felt like something was stuck in there all the time. Many things just made me gag.. to this day I can't handle plastic silverware. Just the though of a plastic spoon is more than i can handle and it's been years.

However, as the others say it normally doesn't last too long. the body does such an amazing job at healing. Each day gets better than the next and it gets easier. I ate whatever tasted good and whatever I felt I could handle. Some days colder stuff felt better, other days warm. I just went with the flow.. It does get better.

keep us posted.. Tami

Tasha;

My dad, 62, has extensive REcurrent small cell and just finished 13 radiation sessions. He met so many nice patients, just like him, that have been there done that and gave him some tips before it hits him- such as: Take small bites and chew many, many times. Take your time. Your throat is probably swollen BUT there is much "mind over matter" in this as well- meaning try not to panic when swallowing as that will cause your muscles to tighten. Obviously, soft food & liquids. Today, dad had his very last rad treatment. Doc told him a huge concern is dehydration. Keep up with the Ensure, Boost, chicken broth and juices. Doc also said it WILL get better! Your body will begin to heal and there will be relief in sight. Dad complains also of the "Lump" in his throat. He says he has learned to sip his liquids and there's a certain way he swallows now. He says he feels like he has to swallow around the lump- whatever he does, he has figured out a way for him that works. I'm sure your mom will too! Take care - you are not alone there are many going through this with you!