Update on my mom

Hi everyone! It's been awhile for me. Well the last time I was on here was when we were still waiting on the results of the Segmentectomy. We have since found out that the mass they thought was a tumor was only scar tissue. My mom has gone through extensive testing and they have not been able to find the primary tumor. In a way it is good that they can no long see any cancer in my mom's body. On the other hand it has been very hard for the doctors to pick the right Chemo to give my mom because they are not sure what king of cancer she hase. My mom has been rediagnosed with Cancer of an Unknown Origin. She will be starting Taxol, Carbboplatin and Avastin this Thursday. They are using this coctail to treat my mom for both Lung and breast Cancer, since they are not sure which cancer she has. My mom will then receive Radiation to her Axillary Lymph node as a precaution. Sorry this took so long. Just wanted to give you an update.

Chrissy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your support! Well my mom is feeling better know. About 2 days after the Chemo (which by the way took 8 hours!!!) mom started feeling really horrible. It is now 7 days later and my mom is feeling really good now. She is having mainly joint and muscle aches and pains. Anyway just wanted to let you know. Does the chemo sessions usually last that long? My mom will go 6 times every 3 weeks.

Thanks,

Chrissy

Hi Chrissy.

If I remember right, I spent at least that long on my first day of chemo too. Day was way too long. I think they wanted to make sure I didn't react to anything they were giving me. I think that was why it took longer. Slower drip...something. I don't remember the details.

The next time was still long, but not as bad. And then I think the next times were closer to the 4-5 hour range. I was carbo/taxol.

Plan on some knitting, reading, card playing, snoozing, snacks....something to get through it. Ugh!

Cindi o'h

Hi Chrissy.

My chemo took about 4 hours, but the first one was a little longer. I had chemo once a week so they may be a little shorter. The treatment your mother is getting sounds like the best chemo for today. I had similar treatment using Tarceva, but I was told if I went in today it would probably be Avastin. Keep us posted.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

Chrissy,

Taxol/Carbo was my husband's first line also (without the Avastin). It does take a long time for these combos. They want to insure that you don't have a reaction to the Taxol so they go with a pretty slow drip. Your Mom is getting the big guns with the once every three week approach, so all the more reason to go it a little slower. It also depends on where she is receiving her chemo. When Tony had his at the hospital it took a lot longer (seven to eight hours) just because things move slower at hospitals because they have to order the meds from the pharmacy and have them sent up, etc. When he was able to have it in the Doc's office it did go faster. I agree with Cindi -- bring stuff to do or read. We were lucky and had a TV and I'd go to the hospital cafeteria and bring a nice lunch back for him.

Tony did quite well during his 8 cycles of this combo and continued golfing on his league. He would crash for a few days, but seemed to snap back faster then with his later chemo combo.

I'm glad they are being aggressive with your Mom's treatment. Tony's brother also had undiagnosed primary with mets that was treated the same way. Make sure she takes up to 600 mg of B-6 to head off any neuropathy in her hands and feet. (Check with your Onc. -- but this is what our onc. recommends.)

Good luck and my best to you and your Mom.

Welthy