How good does it feel to be off chemo?

spicysashimi

I am in my 5th cycle. This time I got the reflux under control, so its just plain old chemo affect. For those of you who have travelled this road before, how good does it feel to stop chemo? I can't stop thinking about my last treatment date and how my body will slowly recover.

Hope you had a good thanksgiving.

aaron

It feels really good when the chemo stops, Aaron. Mentally, it feels better than the body. It takes awhile for the body to catch up to the mind.

I was told that it would take a year before my body felt like her old self.

Before that year was up, there were times I found myself thinking, I feel sooo good. Just good! I couldn't describe the physical feeling of having an elated body as my shell. I still get that feeling sometimes. It is one that either I never paid attn to before chemo or never experienced. In any event, if I were to compare it to anything it might be what I imagine what heroin feels like.

It does take awhile to get your enegy back. It was a slow go for me. I tried to cut that year time in half.."HA! they don't know me! I'm superwoman!" In reality, I think it may have taken twice as long for me to get my umpf back... I am not so sure I have ever really gotten it back, Aaron.

But, Lance Armstrong found his mojo pretty quickly, didn't he?

How are you doing, Aaron? Are you on the couch? Staring into space? What is it about chemo that makes so many of us do that?

Keep up the good attitude.

Cindi o'h

Aaron,

Aaron

Unfortunately most people experience with chemo is not like mine. It never slowed me down or made me sick and I did not loose my hair. I will turn 70 in March, so you should bounce back in no time.

I notice you said “Chemo sucks” Think about it as sucking the cancer out of your body. Keep us posted as you bounce back.

Stay positive,

Ernie

Aaron,

Welcome to the boards and so very sorry you had to find us in the first place. Twenty-Seven!! That is just not fair in any way, shape, or form...

As for ending chemo, my husband Tony spent fourteen straight months on taxol/carboplatin and taxotere/gemzar. Also fifteen radiation sessions. He was 69 years young when he went on a three month chemo break and, as you can imagine, was beat to hell. It only took him a little over two months before he was feeling pretty darn good, so I would imagine you will re-coup pretty nicely also. Attitude is everything and Tony is a very upbeat kind of a guy. I guess we never really look at an end point to chemo because that is the only thing keeping Tony with us until they come up with something better. His cancer is just very aggressive and he has lots of it, so we know an "end" to chemo isn't in the cards for him. We are just thankful he has the stamina of a bull and is able to handle unusually large amounts and durations of chemo.

Hang in there and hold your head up. There are better times ahead.

Welthy

Hi Aaron, I am so sorry you're even going through this. 27 years young, life can be so unfair. I could only imagine your devistagion when you found out you had this dreaded disease and never smoked. How scared you must have been.

But you are doing good and for you being so young and in good physical shape, I have no doubt you will bounce back in no time.

Your a brave young man. I am proud of you!

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Aaron,

I agree -- chemo sucks! However, its been 8 months since my last chemo treatment, and I feel great! It took some time to be able to get through the day without needing a nap, but it did happen. Hang in there, you're getting closer to the finish line and it will be so great when you know that the last treatment is behind you. Hope the next treatments treat you kindly.

Trish

Aaron,

I admire your ability to get through what must seem like a ridiculously unlikely twist to your life. You will probably be someone very different than you would have been without this experience, and will have strengths and awarenesses that you may otherwise not have ever acquired. Not much consolation for having had to go through this, I know, but a fact nonetheless. You impress me!

Something that my Mom did at the suggestion of her best friend (an RN) was to mark off the milestones of the tx. When my Mom completed a chemo or radiation tx, she would add a silk rose to a vase. When she was finished she had a beautiful arrangement to appreciate and feel PRIDE in the fact, that she accomplished that.

Is there something that you really enjoy that could represent accomplishment to you? Or is there some kind of reward that you want that you could "earn" when you have gotten through all this tx? There ought to be something to reward you for your journey through tx, don't you think?

My best to you :)