Miraculous Results??

My sister's Dr. told her today that the cancer has disappeared, as far as the PET scan goes. He told her that he knows better than that and he wants her to continue with the chemo (3 more rounds) and also he is going to start Radiation. Does that make sense to anyone? Will this be some sort of preventive radiation done? How do you radiate when you don't see any cancer to radiate? He did say the treatment is working remarkably well and he said he knows several patients that would love to see pet scans like hers. She is also taking chemo very well and her blood work has been coming back excellent. I want to get excited about this, but I don't understand why she has to continue to take these treatments. Can anyone clue me in on this?

Yahoo! This is great news!

First I have to say that SCLC is do-able, and your mom is well on her way! That is fantastic!

In terms of cancer cells, the way I best understand it is this...they are so, so microscopic when they begin that there is no way a doc could ever tell if they are there....so the chemo and radiation is essentially to "kill" anything that might still be there. My dad had brain radiation, and there wasn't anything there...but it was to prevent possible mets to there.

Do take joy in this news! It is fantastic! Stay strong and know all the posibilities, but take this as a very good sign!

God bless you!

Jen

I would not want to subject myself to radiation unless I know for sure there is a target. Chemo would be ok for mopup. When radiation is done, they do have to see an actual tumor in CT scans so that they can adjust the targeting of the beams. Maybe the tumor is still there, but it is not showing much activity and would not light up on a PET scan.

Anyway, it looks like your sister is on the way to remission.

Don M

Thanks Don. I am thinking they are going to talk to her about (PCI) I am not sure if those are the right initials. But I am of the same mind as Don M on that. I don't believe in radiation as a preventive measure. I know a good percentage of patients have mets to the brain, but it seems somewhat barbaric to me to have this done in order not to have it done later. Maybe I don't understand it fully.

Wow, what fantastic news for your sister.... I would definetely be an advocate of continuing the Chemo as a precautionary measure... especially since she is tolerating it so very well. This is certainly news you should be CELEBRATING!!!!! Hope your sister keeps on this great path!!!

My first initial thought as to discontinuing Chemo is in order to make sure that in case, She has to restart chemo they have something that they know has worked. Kind of like avoiding letting the body get to the point where the chemo does not work. If they have to restart chemo they know this has worked and will still work. Does this make sense :?: Sending prayers and thoughts.

My Dad had PCI, and so far has had no side affects. It was hard for him to get the mask, but he also feels like he did everything he could to fight and from here on out, God's plan will take place...

Odd, in my first post, I wrote cure-able...and it posted as do-able...we will see with this one...

God bless,

Jen

Her doctor told her yesterday that there is nothing showing on the scans..NOWHERE..He was quite amazed himself and pretty much said the same thing as all of you have said about continuing the chemo regime. So, that is what she is doing. She talks to the radiologist today. Her Dr. told her 95% of the cancer was gone. I don't know where the 95% comes from, if he can'[t see anything on the scans, but that is what he said. She had mets to her thyroid and it is gone completely. I wish she could be 100% cured. I wish everyone could be. Never stop praying, because I know that it works. I have no doubt that Prayer is working for us.