Comment on Hospice

knw55

Overall I feel the care my dad received from Hospice was good. However my dad hadn't been dead one hour when Hospice called people to come pick up his oxygen machine and other items he had been using. Is this something they normally do? I found it to be extremely disrespectful. The funeral home hadn't even picked up his body yet, did they think we were going to sell it on E-bay or something? It's really bothered me and I needed to share that.

Thanks, Karen

I understand your feelings. I remember feeling the same way. However, I would try to look at the intrusion as the Hospice folks picking up the supplies that they can use to provide comfort and care to another person in need.

When we lose a beloved family member, any insensitivity stings, but they are people that are doing a job. A job that brings great support and comfort to the entire family during this very trying time.

God Bless and I'm sorry for your loss.

That was a bit quick to be picking up the equipment. If you feel strongly about the situation, I would surely make a call or write a letter. People respond differently to these situations. Dennis died on a Sunday morning and I made a special request of Hospice to please get there as soon as possible to get the hospital bed and equipment out of the house. Dennis' hospital bed was in my bedroom and I couldn't stand the thought of seeing the bed and equipment without him in it. So, maybe they thought they were helping the family by removing the items as soon as possible. I guess we're all different.

The day before Bill passed away, I had asked our Hospice nurse to make sure that everything was picked up as quickly as possible when we no longer needed it. I wanted every reminder of his illness removed from my house and she admitted that many people feel that way and make the same request. I admit that every situation and family is different, but my experience with Hospice was wonderful and I am sure that they had no intentions of being disrespectful or causing additional pain, it was likely an oversight. It will make you feel better to let them know your feelings, I'd encourage it, but don't let that issue hold up your healing process.

One of my sons worked for a medical supply place and he would frequently be sent to pick up hospice/homecare equipment quickly following death. He told me one time he pulled up and they had not taken the deceased out, so he waited in the van on the street until the ambulance/vehicle had cleared the area. I think he was thoughtful to wait when he clearly was sent waaay to early. He said that even he was amazed at how fast removal is requested from the home/hospice when someone had passed.

My son was 19-20 at the time and even he thought it was in poor taste and wasn't too comfortable with the speed, so I think that proves your point about insensitivity.

Welthy's .2

I too feel you should notify Hospice, i'm pretty certain they more than likely felt the remain's would be removed before the equipment was and i know in our case they came right after my wife was taken.I have heard of some pretty cold hospice group's and your's may well be one.