I got a ?

Robin

Robin,

rounds or cycles are all different depending on the type of chemo and how the doctor wants to treat it. If you have radiation then the cycle could be different. Then cycles are different for the same chemo. I had chemo (Carboplatin, Taxol) once a week for three weeks then one week off and I took Tarceva every day. This was one cycle for me. Others get the same (Carboplatin , Taxol) once every three weeks. There is no way for you to copare cycles without knowing all the reasoning behind it.

Stay positive,

:lol:

Ernie

Hi,

Cycles are dependent upon both the drug and the distribution. Some have Taxotere once per month, others have it once a week for three weeks and then a week off. A cycle is what ever is that period until it begins again.

I was told that generally after two cycles, they will look at progress. If after two tests (4 cycles) where there is still growth, then the chemo will be stopped. (They did this for me on one chemo regimen after the first two cycles.) But they will continue cycles if the progress continues. And no change is considered good.

Mary

Hi,

Rounds are defined as total number of cycles of a certain type of chemo. Cycles are the number of times you receive the chemo in the round. Confusing. Easier would be to say each round of chemo constitutes a "line" (1st line, 2nd line, etc.) My husband is currently on his 4th line treatment. Broken out his would look like this:

Taxol/Carboplatin - 1st line (round) - every 21 days for 8 cycles (21 days is the cycle).

Taxtore/Gemzar - 2nd line (round) Both day 1 and Gemzar only day 7 every 21 days for 12 cycles. (Both treatments constitute 1 cycle -- they are not counted separately.)

Tarceva - 3rd line (round) 1 pill every day for 3 months

Navelbine - 4th line (round) 1 time per week for ??? weeks. (Each week is 1 cycle in this scenario.)

Many people do have great success with far fewer cycles/rounds, but my husband's cancer needs to be fought all the time.

Everyone is treated individually, as to the number and type of chemo used during cycles. The constant is that cycles fall within the round or "line". From what I have observed, weekly combo cycles seem to be given for people who cannot tolerate the "big shock" of the typical 21 day combo cycle. Or sometimes they will extend the cycle to 28 days to give more recovery time between cycles.

Hope this helps clarify. :shock: I hope...

Welthy

Hi Barb, How did they do the radation? I am so freaked out because I am already weak from just the cancer and I know I am going to get weaker through all of this plus I have no taste for nothing now I can only imagine how its going to be with Chemo,I can't afford to lose more than 5 to 10 lbs. I am already tiny. Thank you

I guess I was wrong about cycles. I found this definition on breastcancer.org web site. That being the case I had a total of 13 cycles of Carboplatin and Taxol along with Tarceva 100mg every day. I guess it may have been more aggressive than I thought, but it did work.

A "cycle" of chemotherapy refers to one time or one "round" in which you go to the doctor and receive the medication. A "course" of chemotherapy refers to all the cycles in your entire treatment. Depending on the drug (or drugs) you receive, you may have anywhere from four to eight cycles of chemotherapy during an entire course.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

Ernrol,

Your first post in this topic was:

"ernrol" I had chemo (Carboplatin, Taxol) once a week for three weeks then one week off and I took Tarceva every day. This was one cycle for me.

You had it right the first time with the above quote. From your profile's time frame it would appear that you had a total of four cycles comprised of a 28 day Carbo/Taxol cycle (with Tarceva daily). You have then completed your first round, course, or first line of treatment. It is semantics. In your scenario, each chemo session is not considered a cycle --- gosh, if that were the case then my Tony would have had 30 cycles in his first and 2nd lines of treatment! :shock: (As it was he did have a "true" 20 cycles in a row and gee, that was more than plenty!)

Hope this clarifies! :)

Welthy

Ernol,

You are right -- you had 3 chemos followed by a one week break which made your "cycle" 28 days each. You are one of the lucky ones who didn't have to go through a huge amount of chemo to chase back your cancer --- and I'm glad for you!!!! :D

I know it begins to be a blur for us, that's why I keep a running log of everything Tony has done.

:D

Welthy