Alternatives? This is what my doc said...

I am 3b non small cell, diagnosed year ago and in past year had 4 mos. chemo and 40 radiation treatments. I'm doing great, and during my first stages, friends and family wanted to give me all kinds of "cancer fighting" therapies, either they had heard of or knew of someone taking them. I realize the chemo is a toxin, critically evaluated by my doc at every phase of treatment, no standard dose, all tailored to me individually.

So I told my doc "Do people ask you about other therapies, because I know families and friends want to do everything to beat this thing?" He said, yes patients did ask, and the thing he had to tell them was that he could not agree to anything other than what he was specifically giving in a form of toxin. He said it would be going into uncharted territory and the effect on his therapy would be unknown. The alternative meds/supplement could neutralize his chemo, make it stronger, make it weaker, make no difference, he couldnt factor in the effect it might have. His policy was that if a patient wanted to do it, he could but he would also have to sign a release stating that he was given information by the doctor who would not be responsible for subsequent chemo effects.

And you know, I think the guy's right. The chemo we're getting is poison, and you dont know how it will react with alternative stuff. Just thought I'd let you guys know. 8)

I once met a gentleman while waiting for Deb at chemo one day. He said he was flying to Oklahoma for a second opinion. He needed to get a note from Oncologist because he had so much chemo in his system he was afraid to set off Aiport alarms at teh security checkpoint and was being cautious.

Barbara,

That was pretty much the same info we also received from our oncologist.

Check into Dr. West's website to see what Dan Labriola ND, Director, Naturopathic Services, Swedish Cancer Institute had to say about the whole issue. I found his take interesting too.

Regards,

Welthy

Barbara,

It's great to hear that you are doing so well. It is most important that you and your doctor agree about your treatment and any supplements or herbs you wish to take or not take. I took each herb or supplement to my oncologist he took the time to examine each one then made a decision, OK to take, do not take, or don’t take within 24 hours of chemo treatment. I was glad he took that time to make a decicion. It is also important to remember that some foods are also used as supplements, like Garlic and Turmeric. Oncologists are just people and they come with many different opinions. The main thing is to find one that you have confidence in like you did.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

There is precious little research on CAM and interactions with standard therapies. So I think your onc is being cautious, but wise, Barbara. I personally think it's a bit antagonistic to make the patient sign a release, however. I fear it would cause patients to not disclose the CAM they are using, which is never a good idea.