My dad was just diagnosed.

inna

Hi, my dad was just diagnosed with lung cancer stage 3a. He had his righ lower lobe removed and was send to see an ancologist. He had one appointment yesterday and he is going for a second opinion on january 31.I want him to look into complementary approach, but the oncologist said "no" because it can have interferance with chemo and radiation therapy that they want to do, and he is scared to go against medical advise.Are there any advise to this?

Inna,

I took a lot of supplements along with my chemo. I checked out every one with my oncologist. I did not have radiation so I don’t know about that. I am sure there are some things that can be taken, because some are just food, like Garlic and mushrooms. You might ask if you could show them to him and let him make a decision for each one. My ocn told me that he wanted me not to take some within 24 hours of chemo. I know some doctors just make a blanket statement no supplements or herbs. I would not take anything without your ocn approval.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hello inna and welcome

I am sorry about your dad. It does sound like he is on the right track though especially with the 2nd opinion. Once he has gotten the treatment plan in place he can begin working with his oncologist and radiologist to explore the alternative approach. It is very important to make sure he keeps his doctors informed of ANYTHING he takes as it could react adversly with his treatments.

Please keep us posted on his progress and the treatment. We will be here for you.

My best to you

Christine

I'm sorry you needed to find this board, but welcome.

Many, (maybe most) oncologists do not support alternative treatments and are particularly against antioxidants, (other than normal dietary intake).

I would clear anything you are taking with the doctor. If you feel strongly there is a benefit, then you need to find a doctor that agrees with your position.

Good luck.

Mary

Welcome-- I am glad you found us. While your dad is on chemo it is best to make sure he eats well and drinks lots of fluids so he doesn't get dehydrated. This will help. As others have said, some supplements interfere with chemo and you don't want that.

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My mom looked into doing alternative therapy during her chemo and ended up going to some dietitians and holistic doctors that were not part of the cancer center she was receiving care from.

She started to take some supplements during her treatment but had to stop because she was at high risk for blood clots and had to go on a blood thinner. It is important that if you do receive outside care to let the doctors know so that you avoid complications with medicines.

However she took yoga during her treatment and is currently enjoying Reki and Massage. I think that this has helped her tremendously.

Welcome Inna. I was dx IIIA also and had surgery and radiation. That was almost 4 years ago. My oncologist looked over my medication AND supplement list ( I was already on some vitamins) and said what I was taking was ok with chemo. I would NOT take anything that my oncologist didn't know about and approve. I feel sure I did the right thing because my results have been so good. Read my profile and you will see I have had no treatments since my original ones and feel good and am NED at the moment. Your dad is on the right track. Best of luck to you and your family.

Nina