PET scan and CT scan today for mom

wondermom

I am getting nervous now. My mom has her first PET scan today as well as a lung CT scan. Also, what is the difference? Wouldn't the PET scan check the lungs too? I thought that checked your whole body.

I don't think I have ever prayed so hard for anything. Mom's onc appointment is Wednesday as well as her chemo appointment so I am assuming she will get the results then. I have made arrangements so I can be there. Do you think it is possible to get them sooner? I HATE the waiting. That is going to be the hardest part for me. Hopefully, my family will be breathing a sigh of relief after Wednesday! We are all trying to stay positive and hope for the best.

We'll be praying for the BEST results, too!!

The new "hybrid" PET/CT machines combine a CT with PET to provide the best anatomical details. PET alone doesn't provide very clear anatomical details, but it shows metabolic activity. When they "fuse" these images with the CT, it can pinpoint any hotspots with greater accuracy, as well as allowing them to more precisely determine metabolic activity in known abnormal areas. Really cool technology!

Results are usually available within 24 - 48 hrs. The waiting really is the worst part of the whole test! Your Mom might want to ask the imaging center if she can obtain preliminary results in order to have any questions ready prior to her appointment. Many centers will provide that AND a CD copy of the scan, if requested. I'll be keeping fingers, eyes, toes, etc. crossed for GREAT results!! BEST of luck & hang in there! :wink:

Yours in HOPE!!

Stacey