sister with stage 3b lung cancer

KleenTeeth

Since this board has helped me with feeling "better" about my sister's illness, I am asking for yet more "help." I am a dental hygienist and write periodically for a dental magazine. I also am trying to become a speaker and decided my sister's illness is the topic I am going to teach others about. Can one of the moderators or "listers" suggest a site I can collect research to start my paper or lecture? I have gone to the American Lung Association and have googled "lung cancer." Are there any other sites/books/journals you could suggest? Thank you for your help and support with my sister and with my paper/lecture.

Wow! When someone asks for help, you guys come out of the woodwork! Thank you, Ned, Nick C, Wendy R, Dadstimeon, Katie B (I have a daughter "Katie B"...good name!)I wrote down all the sites and will research them. I have already written an article on mentors and named my sister as one of them. I need to expand on the article to get it to 500 words...shouldn't be a problem.

Ned, my sister is a stage IIIB and on the same meds: Taxol and Carboplaxin. Diana's bloodwork is good except her liver enzymes; they seem to have doubled. Have any of you noticed this with your blood work? I am so encouraged by reading some of your bios! Getting Diana's diagnosis was like a kick in the stomach. She never smoked! I am sure she is at a loss when she is asked questions by her MD. Diana is also mentioning she is cold sensitive. Is this normal? Did any of you notice this? Thank you in advance for all your help!

Wow! When someone asks for help, you guys come out of the woodwork! Thank you, Ned, Nick C, Wendy R, Dadstimeon, Katie B (I have a daughter "Katie B"...good name!)I wrote down all the sites and will research them. I have already written an article on mentors and named my sister as one of them. I need to expand on the article to get it to 500 words...shouldn't be a problem.

Ned, my sister is a stage IIIB and on the same meds: Taxol and Carboplaxin. Diana's bloodwork is good except her liver enzymes; they seem to have doubled. Have any of you noticed this with your blood work? I am so encouraged by reading some of your bios! Getting Diana's diagnosis was like a kick in the stomach. She never smoked! I am sure she is at a loss when she is asked questions by her MD. Diana is also mentioning she is cold sensitive. Is this normal? Did any of you notice this? Thank you in advance for all your help!

Lungevity actually has some very interesting (and powerful!) statistics on their pages...I've used them repeatedly to get attention drawn to what I'm talking about when I meet with the local papers and radio stations.

As far as cold goes...Mom is constantly and she never was a day in her life before her treatment began. I think it's a "just part of it" thing. Not sure about her liver enzymes, but I'll sure ask her the next time we talk!

Good luck to you! I can't wait to see all the good stuff you'll have to post about what you're doing!!

[KleenTeeth] Ned, my sister is a stage IIIB and on the same meds: Taxol and Carboplatin. Diana's bloodwork is good except her liver enzymes; they seem to have doubled....Diana is also mentioning she is cold sensitive. Is this normal? Did any of you notice this?

Suzy, I really don't have an answer for you on the liver enzymes. Every 3 weeks when I go in for chemo I get a blood test first thing, and when the onc comes into the exam room he's looking at the printout from the in-house lab, but I don't know what if anything it says about the liver. He always says the blood test numbers are good, and I've never asked for a copy. I'm a lot more inquisitive when it comes to scan reports.

About the cold, yes, I've been noticing it too. Don't know if it's from the chemo or just the fact that I've lived here 35 years and am accustomed to warmer weather than we've had recently. If it gets below 60 at night, which it has several times this year, I certainly feel it. :roll: All right, I'm not expecting any outpouring of sympathy from Montana or New York -- I have a daughter in Michigan who's been keeping me informed of the blowing snow and brutal wind chill. She (along with another daughter who alternates between Florida and Tennessee) is coming out next month, usually Hawaii's coldest month because of the northerly winds. But I know they'll be dashing about the island in shorts and bare feet, looking funny at their hairless dad bundled up in heavy jacket and hood!

Aloha,

Ned