Walking on Stumps

spicysashimi

I've had mine for years and it is slowly getting worse to the point where I walk with a cane. My understanding is it may or may not go away, of course everyone is different. I take Gabapentin at night (which helps) to sleep to relive the numbness and tingling. Also I believe B6 and B12 help. Ask your doctor what is recommended and best for you.

I just spoke to my mom and she can't type herself right now- she told me she had neuropathy of her feet and it did go away- She said to ask your DR she knows they have certain meds that can help this- she had it for around 6 months- she waited to see if it went away by itself before taking the med and it did for her- hope this helps you out

I asked that same question a while back. My neuropathy was in my fingers and toes. I was suggested to me by dadstimeon to try vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12. They worked for me. Of course ask your doctor first.

Carol

Aaron:

I had my first experience with neuropathy during my 6th Taxol/Carbo/Avastin cycle. It cleared up in 2 or 3 days with the prompt use of Neurontin and so far has not returned. Another member had asked about neuropathy in late January, and I've quoted the major part of my response here:

I just recovered from a 4-to-5-day episode of neuropathy (feet and, to a lesser degree, hands) which began a few days into my sixth Taxol/Carbo/Avastin cycle. The numbness, pins-and-needles, and leg weakness were very different from the sore and itchy rash which has bothered me on and off since cycle 2... By the second day of neuropathy I had started using an old walker we had around the house -- the alternative would have been to do a lot of crawling if it continued to get worse! I searched this board and elsewhere on the internet and found some real horror stories about neuropathy. Seems it can start some time after chemo has ended and peak weeks or months later, may or may not go away by itself or even with medication, and can become disabling. I called my chemo nurse (20 years doing this) who said the culprit was most likely Taxol (which I've now completed), that the drug she's seen work most reliably is Neurontin, and that I should call the oncologist to see if he would call in a prescription for me. I reached him at his other clinic, and he agreed to call in a supply of 100mg capsules to my local pharmacy. He cautioned that although the label would say 2 capsules 3 times a day, to diminish the significant side effects of Neurontin I was to take only one of the capsules per day just before bedtime and not increase until we talked or met again. He wanted assurance, almost like Scout's Honor, that I understood this and would comply.

I took one capsule that night, got up the next morning feeling about the same, and while the neuropathy was still there, at least it wasn't worse, and instead of getting worse throughout the day as it did the previous day, it was somewhat better by evening. Another capsule, and the next day I was able to get around quite well without the walker, with just mild pins and needles. By the third morning the neuropathy was essentially gone, and I was left with only the "nornal" rash, sores, and blisters to deal with... Of course it's possible the neuropathy would have gone away by itself without the medication, but having had 6 full treatments of Taxol since October and knowing about the delayed onset feature, I wasn't inclined to take any chances.

Hope you get this under control soon! Aloha,

Ned

Aaron,

I never had chemo, but I have had neuropathy in varying degrees since my surgery (my feet go from numb to burning numb and my hands go from numb to fairly useless depending on the day wiht no rhyme or reason). The neurologist had prescribed neurotin also, and although it works for others, I haven't tried it because I'm afraid it may have side effects that will interfere with my job. So I wear old lady shoes that minimize the burning to my feet and try not to drop too many things. If it keeps progressing, I won't have a choice to take the medication but right now, I can live with it.

Sorry I don't have any real feedback - just wanted to let you know that I know this all sucks. I hope your neuropathy improves soon.

Aaron,

I have very bad neuropathy after 2 sessions of Taxol. I had a reaction to Taxol and was switched to Taxotere and didn't have any neuropathy from that. I don't remember how long it took for the pins and needles feeling to go away entirely, but it is totally gone now. Good luck, hope your's goes away quickly.

Trish

Debi

I too have had no chemo since my surgery. There are times that when I go to get up from my chair I feel like my legs will not move. At night while sleeping I will wake up and my hands are numb. I have always thought that this is the results of my surgery and the sock effect it has had on my body. I never had any of these symptoms before the lobectomy. It is just another side effect I have learned to deal with. :?

MaryAnna