Tarceva question...

asmakis

My dad's oncologist told my dad that he'd know the Tarceva was working when my dad's face broke out. It's been two weeks and yet my dad's skin is clear. I wonder if my dad has put one and one together yet? He only mentioned letting me use some of his cream the Dr. gave him for a large pimple on my forehead :). Anyway, I know that there are several successful Tarceva users out there, and hopefully there are some with clear skin, success stories. And if not, how long did it take before the first breakout? Is two weeks too short of time?

Amanda

Our oncologist and pulmunary doctors were always under estimating my wife's prognosis. Don't let that affect you one bit. Either block the negatives out or clear memory everyday.

My wife did start to have a rash a few weeks after starting Tarveva 150. Is your dad on the 150mg?

Men's skin is tougher than most women and it may take longer to break down. My wife's skin has always been sensitive to everything.

The next scans will be the judge of the success.

If he has any symptoms that start to diminish is also a good sign.

Take care of yourselves - happily - Chanwit

I had the rash for about 2 or 3 months and it went away completely and I had very good success with Tarceva for 16 months. My understanding it takes about 7 to 14 days to break out, of course everyone is different. I don't believe if one does not break out it means it is not working. Only way to tell for the most part is by the scans. Hope this helps.

Don't let the appearance, or lack of appearance, of the rash worry you. My doc said that while he hoped to see the rash because there seems to be some correlation between the rash and the effectiveness of the Tarceva, it's not an exact science. By the way, I had a HORRIBLE rash, my face, chest back and arms were covered, and guess what ... Tarceva did not work for me.

I'm sure there are some people out there for whom Tarceva worked and yet they did not get the rash.

Tracy

My husband has been on tarceva since 12/28/06 with only a minimal rash but a CT just 6 weeks later showed disease stable with minor shrinkage. The rash, such as it is, didn't show up for over 3 weeks. Don't put too much emphasis on rash vs effectiveness. Good Luck & God Bless

Wendy

You don't need a rash for Tarceva to work. According to my oncol it's only percentages. He said "there are better results for people who get a rash." but you don't need a rash for it to work. Everybody's different. I got a bad rash on the higher dosage and minor rashes on the lower dose. I've been on it for about a year and so far I'm stable. Hope the Tarceva is helping.