Pleural Effusion With a New Question 2/25

ztweb

Dad got the results from the CT...shows slight pleural effusion on the lung...next week the plan is to biopsy that to see if it one of three things...

1. cancer back

2. infection

3. heart is not doing the job to pump it out

Does anyone know anything about any of this? Please, this is making me crazy. Doc gave dad a B+ on his appointment - mom was crying as she wanted an A+...bless her heart.

Let me know your thoughts.

Jen

Jen,

My husband had a pleural effusion at the end of his treatment in October. Doctor said it should probably go away on it's own. He didn't have any SOB or other symptoms. His PET in December, no pleural effusion.

Saying an extra prayer right NOW for your dad to be AOK.

Laurie

Jen,

Try not to freak out just yet. I've been there, easier said than done :roll: . My Dad had a pleural effusion about six months out from treatment and it was benign. They drained at least a cup of fluid and it took about 15 minutes. It was painless for my Dad and the results came back fairly quickly if I remember right. I'll keep your Dad in my prayers!

Jen,

I am praying for a negative biopsy for your dad. Try to stay strong and wait for the biopsy results. I know this is easier said than don. Just remember how far you and dad have come already! You are warriors, and are not gonna let cancer beastie take any more of your life from you!!!!!

God Bless,

Sharon

Jen,

Any irritation to the lungs can cause effusion. It doesn't have to mean cancer -- especially at this time of year when so many colds turning into lung issues are present everywhere. Tony has had 14 taps ranging from 1/2 liter to 1 3/4 liters on both sides and they never showed any cancer cells. Just filling from irritation related to chemo. Even if the reports come back showing cancer cells, they are just little pissants in the scheme of things to fighters like your Dad! Malignant cells in effusion clear very quickly with any systemic chemo.

Keeping everything crossed for good results for your Dad! Hang in there. :)

With much hope,

Welthy (Debi)

Thanks for all the encouragement. It is so heartwarming to think of you out there praying for me, and my family. Life is most certainly a gift, and I have been given such a wonderful gift with you all.

So...tell me this...once one has had cancer, does it mean they will always drain that effusion to see if it is malignant? It appears that way, by your postings....but I know there have to be many more out there with something similar.

Let me know your thoughts.

Jen

Jen,

It's very possible, if not more likely, that your Dad's effusion will be his only one. Radiation shrinks the lung and the pleural space remains and could fill with fluid.

My Dad has never had a pleural recurrence. Hang in there, chances are your Dad won't have one either!

Hi Jen,

I developed a pleural effusion at the end of my treatment. My doctors aren't worried about it, though, because there's no uptake, no pain, and my pulmonary function isn't compromised (I walk at least 10,000 steps a day!). It has been shrinking from scan to scan lately, but my pulmonologist doesn't think it will ever be gone completely. It has never been drained.

Sending prayers that your dad's effusion is as benign as mine.

Trish

Jen,

My right lung pleural area was about ¾ full. They only drained enough for a biopsy and the rest went away by itself. It has never returned. I think once you have had cancer they have to rule it out by test. A PET scan could detect an uptake, but then that is not positive. Like my spot on the hip. They have to rule cancer out. With me they are going to wait a month and check again. I think that if the effusion comes back they would probably want to do another biopsy. It was not my favorite procedure. Let’s pray that it goes away completely like mine and does not return.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Jen,

It depends on how much effusion is present and whether it compromises your Dad's breathing as to whether they have to re-drain. Tony was very unlucky to have so much irritation that both sides kept filling and filling. (Think 2-liter bottle of cola almost full at times.) Very uncomfortable.

They didn't always do cytology tests for malignant cells either because he never tested positive each time they did test, so they kind of threw their hands up and said they weren't going to bother testing anymore.

The procedure itself is a breeze and believe me, Tony tends to be a squeemy-weemie about stuff like that. So if he thinks it's a breeze, trust me it IS. :D His effusion finally slowed down and is not enough to tap anymore. Hopefully your Dad's will just be reabsorbed or non-existant in the future.

Keep us posted. All the best and continued prayers.

Welthy (Debi)