Do u know anything about CPT-11?

berisa

Hi today I attended a seminar regarding the new trend of treating Lung Cancer, the onc. has mentioned CPT-11 for Small Cell Lung Cancer Patient, do you know anything about this? He didn't tell any regarding Small Cell as the seminar time is quite short and he just focused on NSCLC for most of the patients are in this category.

If you know any about this CPT-11 or you are having / had it, please share the info with me. Thank you.

I had this (camptosar, cpt-11) the first go around with chemo. I had it at the same time I had cisplatin. They gave it 3 x a month and I had chemo for 9 months. I went into remission for 1 yr. afterwards. From what I read it said the trials for sclc were done in Japan and they had a very good success rate with it. So good that they suspended trials and began using it. The FDA then approved it for use with sclc shortly after.

Dennis was treated with a combination of CPT-11 and cisplatin for the first round of chemo as part of a clinical trial. The results after the first round tests were amazing. Most of the tumors were gone...liver was completely clear. Unfortunately, everything (and more) returned very rapidly and the topetecan (2nd therapy) never triggered a positive response. Like Cindy stated, the trial results from Japan on this drug are quite impressive. Hope it works for you!

Cindy, found from net that Camptosar = CPT-11 = Irinotecan, so your first round treatment was Cisplatin + CPT-11 that the result was really remarkable. My Dad was not as lucky as you that could receive that chemo regimen.

According to the Japanese study, CPT-11 + Cisplatin regimen is better than VP-16 + Cisplatin, so NOW MY CONCERN is.....

1) Could CPT-11 + Cisplatin be used for relapse SCLC?

2) Hycamtin (=Topotecan) is better for relapse SCLC OR CPT-11 + Cisplatin is better for relapse SCLC? Which one is the better second-line treatment? I know everyone response differently to particular chemo regimen, but in general, wanna know any medical findings/articles for comparing these two regimen for relapse SCLC!!

I know my Dad finished all first-line chemo (VP16+Carbo) already. But I am doing more researches for information (just in case for contingency). Thank you. :lol:

From my personal research, CPT-11 is a better choice for a relapsed SCLC. Sometimes it can be given with cisplatin and other times they are using it with gemzar (gemcitibine)....I will list all the drugs that are effective against SCLC...

cisplatin with either CPT-11 or etoposide (VP-16)

CPT-11 alone or with gemzar or cisplatin

taxol

cytoxin with adriamycin and vincristine

topotecan

taxotere (rare, but can be used)

• 3 weeks later...

In Steve's case, he has currently finished #3 of CPT-11 and Cisplatin. His tumor is showing small growth and his tumor marker is increasing while on it. He had 6 cycles of Carboplatin/VP-16 and had remarkable response, but not complete. His onc and also the onc at Sloan-Kettering discourage radiation for a small tumor unless symptomatic. His nagging, constant cough is his only symptom. Anyone else experience tumor growth while undergoing chemo?

Dennis had chemo treatments in the same sequence as your Dad with the same results. We were so disappointed, as he had done so well in the beginning with the CPT-11 and Cisplatin. He never seemed to have any major response to the Topetecan. Like you, I think it just managed to hole everything stable for a little while.

My friend Debi was diagnosed with extensive SCLC that spread to her liver in late July. She is currently on her 4th round of etoposide/carboplatin chemotherapy. Her liver tumor has only reduced by 3% and she now has swollen feet and ankles from liver failure. She is also falling asleep in a chair for quick naps about every ten minutes for ten minutes or so. She sleeps poorly at night. The doctor's prognosis is grim. He does not expect her to live much longer. Yet he will be starting her round 5 of chemo with new drug regimen- irinotecan (CP-11) & cisplatin. I have read it is a successful treatment in Japan. Although it has been told to us that her cancer is incurable. Is anyone successfully fighting extensive SCLC that has survived for more than one year after diagnosis. I am looking for the last shred of hope!

My husband has been treated with CPT -11 and even though he has had some recurrances he is still well and working after 18 months. He has currently has no new mets for the past year and those that he has are on the Adrenals and one lymph node. The main tumor went away with chemo and radiation and has never returned. He is considered extensive stage but is doing well. Please do not lose hope. Seek a second opinion or get into a clinical trial. There is always hope.

Berisa, first of all id like to say how lucky your dad is to have such a daughter in his corner fighting with and for him. You are absolutely doing the right things and asking the right questions berisa. Much like Katie B. and her fathers fight, and her never ending quest to make sure the RIGHT THINGS WERE BEING ASKED AND DONE ! You are being a great advocate in your fathers fight and my hat is off to you. I would like to thank you for posting this article because i have also recieved some valuable info as well. I have been researching second line chemo meds for the last 2 weeks. Thanks also to hollyridge and your post about your husband. This is encouraging to me. Best wishes for a continued recovery for your husband Holly. Jonathan you are the best and i always follow and read your posts and replies. I think you are a tremendous asset to this board and its members. Well at any rate thanks for all the info guys. Berisa very best wishes to you and your father and keep up the good work......

Regards

Greg

Greg, you impressed me very much as well becoz you are so positive and have a good spirit to fight against the recurrent thing. You are very brave with high EQ indeed. We can observe from your own profile -- "Like a Christmas Tree", I believe you are an optimistic & positive person who always tries your best to overcome all difficulties ahead. You are so great!! I really appreciate you. Best luck on your tomorrow biospy. :D

• 2 weeks later...

If there arent any objections i am just replying here to keep this topic open and alive for a few more days. There are some excellent responses here from alot of people who have been given this agent in their treatments. My hopes are that i can get even more info in the next few days regarding cpt-11 and other agents combined. I will be starting this drug along with cisplatin fri. 11/21/03. If there are no more responses thats ok too. Barisa thanks for posting about this topic.

Greg

Guest Jonathan

HI Greg,

There are a few other drugs that you have not yet been on. Assuming your posts are correct, you have thus far been on carboplatin wuth VP-16, and now are going to try CPT-11 with cisplatin. There are other drugs if this therapy does not kill all of the cancer. The ones I know of are....

taxol

cytoxin with adriamycin and vincristine

methotrexate with lomustine

gemzar

topotecan

I am praying for a full recovery.

Jonathan

Jonathan, thanks for the info on the other agents. As you know we are going with the cisplatin which is a platinum based agent. There was some concern on my part as to this because of using carboplatin for my first treatment. I feel that during my first treatment the carbo/vespid worked really well in shrinking the tumor. Hopefully the cisplatin will work well with the CPT-11. I just hope like heck i can tolerate it. Ill find out Fri. I have looked at some info on Vincristine but not enough to know much about it. I will look immediately for more info on it. I havent heard of the methotrexate either and will look at that. I also heard about another possibility called Valcade. Are you familiar with it ? Thanks for the info.

Greg