Port Questions

Andrea B.

The oncology nurses have been talking to my mom about having a port inserted. One nurse said it would be "heaven". Now I am sure it would make things easier for them, but was wondering about my mom. From others' experiences, what sorts of things should we ask or watch out for. I have noticed some have talked about blood thinners...are these necessary? My mom is allergic to Coumadin. Thanks in advance!

I declined having a port installed after I was told I would have to be on Cumadin for the life of the port or the rest of my life. I know people who had ports and were not on a blood thinner and some got blood clots, I have also heard that they can get blocked. I am sure it is heaven for the nurses, much easier, but as long as I don't have a problem with my veins (and I don't) why make the manufacturer of the ports and the surgeons rich? As you can tell I am very much against unnecessary surgery and taking medication. Just my humble opinion. If its not broke why fix it?

There is no worse feeling than having to "fish" around for a vein to have an IV needle inserted. I have good veins but I have had the experience of a bad stick and then they have to keep poking and it hurts. I am on Warfarin, a generic brand of Coumadin and I have a port. My vote is to get the port---It really is nice and the surgery to implant it was very quick and easy.

David C

Hugh and I agreed that the best thing we ever did was go ahead with the mediport. And we were determined NOT to have one put in. During his last treatment before we went with the port they tried 7 times to find a vein with no success and it wasn't because the nurses weren't good. The chemo needles are not regular needles and Hugh always said they hurt really bad. I personally do not agree that it makes it easier for the nurses, my impression after Hugh had the port was that it was easier only in that they were much happier that they didn't have to hurt him. HE was much happier because we had numbing cream and it was one stick for all his bloodwork and treatment.

So, as I sing the praises of a port I have to add that Hugh DID develop a blood clot in his left arm and had to go on blood thinners after that. We were told at one point that the port would have to come out. It didn't and when Hugh started back on chemo the following month we were able to use it and he was relieved. Even after the blood clot we weren't sorry he had it put in. During Hugh's last days at the hospital there was no added pain of injections or IVs because they all went through the port.

Another vote for a port. My husband started treatment very quickly due to having vena cava syndrome. They had to get him going fast to get the tumor off his vein. He started chemo without a port and all went well until his vein leaked. You can imagine that poison going into the tissue of his hand. He had to have about 12 shots in the area to neutralize the chemo. It was terrible.

The port is great but make sure they give you a perscription for the cream that wil numb the area so you don't feel the insertion of the needle. You put it on an hour or so before you go.

He does not take a blood thinner he goes to have the port flushed every so often.

The port has been a good thing for me. I don't use the numbing cream because accessing the port doesn't seem like that big a deal to me, certainly not like having them dig around in my arms, wrists, hands, and feet for an accessible vein. I'm given a small shot of Heparin directly into the port after each chemo to help keep the port from blocking up. So far no negatives from that, either. The nurses have been happier with the port, because they didn't like hurting me, and trying to access uncooperative veins was hurting me. Just my 5 Cents on the subject.

Fay A.

PS I'm not a fan of unneccessary procedures or medications, either, but there does come a point where not sucking it in makes more sense. The chemo nurses wear the SAME kind of heavy duty gloves used by people who work with highly toxic and damaging chemical solvents. That should be an indication as to how dangerous getting the chemo into soft tissue (infiltration) really is.

Daddy just had a port put in two weeks ago, had been having LOTS of trouble finding a vein-and it is much better now. He is not on blood thinners, as he had gamma knife to the brain in Jan, so blood thinners are out (risk of stroke), however-since he has had blood clots in the legs-he has a filter that was put in to prevent the clot going to his lungs/heart. He takes baby asprin every day-and that has been enough to keep any other clots from developing so far. Hope this was of some help. Take care, Andrea. Deb

Hi I have never heard of any adverse reactions to the ports when i was suggested that i have one put in as chemo is hard on the veins and does need large veins and after all the poking and discomfort i decided to go for it i can honestly say i should have done it sooner . I have no problem at all as a matter of fact i had it put in on a monday and had chemo on friday. Just make sure after use it is flushed out as to not get infections.hope this helps you with your decision. Calton

Well, Lucie has a port and there was never any mention of blood thinners. There must be two schools of thought on that. She has very small elusive veins and the port has meant relief from pain of sticking so much to find a vein. The downside is that one can get infected if they are not careful with it. Lucie got a staph in her first one. She had to have that one removed and a second prot installed later on the other side. She likes hers. The other thing that can happen is plugging. After each use, the port must be injected with heparin and saline, to prevent a blocking. We always pay attention to what the nurse does at that point to be sure it is the right procedure. Lucie's got blocked once but they were able to unplug it. Good luck. Don