Question about Carboplatin

Nova

Harry's next round of chemo should be starting around the 8th of June,

They've switched him to Carboplatin and Etopocide, instead of the Cisplatin (sp?) and Etopocide.

Will it still take 6 hours to administer the Carboplatin, like it did the other?

The Etopocide (which is given to him on Saturday and Sunday), only takes about an hour. The other, (given on Friday), used to take about 6 hours. Makes for a very long day at the cancer center.

Just wondering how many books and crossword puzzles to pack!

Also, the doctor told us he should have less nausea with the new chemo. Anyone with experience switching from the Cisplatin to Carboplatin?

Thanks. Hope you're all feeling well today!

Nova

Can not help with specific combo. But can suggest asking Oncologist about oral Etoposide. Deb Had the oral for several months. Took it just like tarceva. At home once a day. was fairly mild for her and worked for a little while anyways. Good luck

Nova,

I use to do the carbo/taxol combo and it only took about 15 mins. to run the carbo. I had 2 other IV's with premeds but not sure if they were for the taxol or carbo or both. Ask the doctor as I know there are different doses so some may take longer then others. My doctor always told me it would take longer then it really did. I know that the first time I get a new chemo they always run it slower to make sure I am not going to have a reaction to it.

Sherry

Thanks for writing.

I'm hoping he doesn't get as sick, and also doesn't have to stay strapped to the chemo bag for quite so many hours with the Carboplatin. Whatever has to be done though, is okay!

They always gave him an injection of Ativan before the chemo started, plus a couple of Zofran tablets, to ward off nausea with the Cisplatin. It seemed to work....(he didn't ever get sick until about 5 days after all the chemo was done).

Thanks for responding. Take care of yourselves!

Nova

I think this is what my dad had. It took longer, but I don't remember 6 hours...I am guessing more like 2 to 3 at the most. Odd how I don't remember, yet it was all so imprinting on my life at the time...May you too be blessed with renewed strength and renewed health.

God bless,

Jen

I had Carboplatin, Taxol, Cimetidin(Tagamet), Decadron, Benadryl, Aloxi. Taxol is the only other chemo, the others were for side effects. It took about 4 hours. I would say without the Taxol it would take about 3 hours if given the same drugs to fight the side effects.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Nova,

This was the combination my husband had. He had chemo (once per week) and radation (daily) at the same time. After radiation was completed, he had chemo twice a week when his blood counts were good.

My husband was always give an anti-naseau medicine in the IV prior to the chemo. He did not get sick. However, he did have to have shots to raise his blood counts, had a blood transfusion, and problems with hydration (a couple of visits to the hospital on week-ends to replenish). He was very tired and did not work during his treatments/radiation (partly because his commute to work is 57 miles one way). All in all, we had a pretty normal life during his treatments. Hoping your husband has the same successful results as mine.

Sending up Prayers.

Mary

Nova,

My Mom started with this combo and there were less side effects with the carboplatin and etoposide than with the cisplatin and CPT-11. Mom's doc hydrates with the cisplatin and that's what takes so long here. He didn't give as much fluids with the carboplatin. Cisplatin is a stronger chemo and bad on the kidneys.

I had both the cisplatin and the carbo.. the cisplatin was much worse.. physically and mentally on me.

The carbo didn't have nearly the infusion time of the other and as already mentioned isn't so tough on the kidneys. I think you will find the carbo is a welcome change and hopefully you will tolerate it well. I have problems with neuropathy, nausea etc with the cisplatin that I didn't have with the carbo.

I guess all that really matters is that it works.. Good Luck!!! keep us posted.

Thanks.

It sounds as if (crossing fingers!), the Carboplatin might be a little less severe..

I sure hope so, for his sake. Makes me nervous just thinking about it. It's been so nice for him to have this big break in between chemo sessions. Almost like a vacation! His hair is coming back in, (although we know it will fall out again once the Etopocide kicks in), he finally stopped feeling so nauseated, and is eating regular food now-- it's been like a real nice dream lately! :wink:

Thanks for writing.