need to know

Willw99

Willw99

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:54 am Post subject: need your input

Diana and I saw the oncologist yesterday. She offered Di 4 options:

1. Do Nothing

2. Medication to relieve pain

3.A combination of carboplation and paclitaxel starting in August after she does 10 radiation treatments starting June 14th.

4.Participation in a clinical trial involving the above with experimental drug AZD2171

Does anyone have any experience with any of these options and the outcomes?

I mentioned in my previous post that my darling wife for 36 yars has been diagnosed at stage 4 NSCLC with a tumor on the adrenal gland.

I need your input to help her make a decision.

There are a lot of things I'd have to know first. Most importantly Id need to know a lot of details re: the clinical trial (what type of cancer fighting drug is it, what testing phase is it in? etc.) Other things being equal, I'd go Option 3! Im trying to figure out why Avastin isnt part of the option 3 regimen. I would certainly want that thrown into the mix if possible.

fyi, my dad just finished 15 treatments of whole brain radiation and next week will begin a clinical trial where he will receive carboplatin/gemzar and avastin. Its a clinical trial because until recently they tended not to give avastin to people with brain mets due to the risk of brain bleeding.

Will,

Carbo/Taxol is pretty standard first line treatment given to Stage IV patients. If they can radiate too, all the better. I'd go with radiation then the triplet you mentioned in the clinical trial including the AZD2171.

I'd throw as much at it as possible. You need to be aggressive.

What exactly are they radiating? It is a good sign that they feel they CAN radiate.

Pain medicine can be given to help ease her pain at any time and shouldn't be contingent on treatment plans.

Just my opinion, basically all of the above EXCEPT #1!

Warm regards,

Welthy

Welthy is correct – you need to be aggressive. I would do # 3 or # 4.

AZD2171 A substance that is being studied in the treatment of some types of cancer. It belongs to the families of drugs called angiogenesis inhibitors and vascular endothelial growth factor receptor (VEGFR) tyrosine kinase inhibitors.