Maximum Survival is 5 Years ??

warmpup

Well, when they got into my chest, they found the cancer adhered to ribs # 6 and #7 and to my chest wall. All were cut along with the lower lobe of the left lung and sent to pathology. The chest was reconstructed with gortex then lymph node samples were taken at stations 5, 6, 7, L8, L10 and L11. and sent to pathology.

Pathology sent back negative responses to everything besides the cancer mass except "Station 5 lymph node (excision): Metasatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma involving one (1) of three (3) lymph nodes."

Now I have been refered to both Radiation and Chemo therepy.

I want to know if this ( a positive lymph node ) places my life expentcey inside the 5 year limit?

Has anyone else had sucessful long lasting treatment to lymph nodes?

PS: Saw Chemo Doc today, he wants me to do 16 weeks of chemo before the radiology as follows;

Cisplatin days 1 and 8 \

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Every 28 days-4 cycles

Vinorelbine days 1,8,15,22 /

Oh Boy Anyone out there have kind words toward this?

They certainly had a plan for you. So glad they were able to operate and remove the mass. The chemo and radiation should do the trick for the other areas. If not there are so many other treatments to try.

The 5 year plan is if there is no NED(no evidence of disease) they usually would consider that a cure.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Maryanne

Why do you seem so set on the Negative. There are no time limit's,such thing's as 5 year survival is just a estimate based on Average's.I had a friend that was eleven year's out from Ned plus had dealt with prostrate Cancer and i forget the other desease. So why not think about living instead of Dieing.....

Those are old statistics before many of the ground breaking drugs like Iressa, Tarceva, and Avastin were even on the market. All you have to do is look and see how many 5 year plus members we have here to know that is bunk.

I had two or three cancerous lymph nodes and I am still here after 12 years.

Please don't read the Stats. Ry is right when she says they are 5 years behind.

You need POSITIVE in your life right now, not the negative. Besides, there are two sides to all stats and I see know reason why you can't be on the Positive side of them.

There are MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY long term lung cancer survivors in this world. HONEST! :wink::D I have many of them in my lung cancer support group here in Minnesota. :D

Stop concentrating on the negative. I too had Squamous Cell with Lymph Node Involvement. I never once asked what my servival was and did not need a doc to tell me that. I did not look at stats for rverybody because I am not everybody. I am me!!! I am cancer free and plan on staying that way but if something changes I will start the fight again. You have to keep fighting.

I just have to add here that my Mom's doctor has not given her a prognosis. And none of us are asking. A few people have mentioned that I might want to meet with her doctor privately and ask...but if I am told a time limit...I might stop believing that she can beat the statistics. She is strong. I know that and she knows that. She won't even read about the details of her diagnosis in books or on the internet. She is planning her / our future as though we still have so much to do in years to come. And we do...we have so many plans. Travel, renting her house out, buying a new car for her, etc. As long as we keep reaching for those future goals, we believe we will reach them. I think the hardest time is now....when chemo is kicking her butt and her lung obviously needs to be drained again. But when her energy is there, as it was over the weekend. We are only looking ahead...way, way into the future.

Warmpup:

I understand your fears and questions and they're very natural. If you are interested in what the stats are, please speak with your Oncologist. He has the advantage of clinical experience within his practice and that of colleagues to know what an average expectancy might be in 2007 for someone with your disease, in your performance status, at your age, with your treatment path, etc.

And even then, the best physician on the planet can never give you a guarantee - one way or the other. But he can give you the benefit of his educated experience.

I'm pleased to see that doctors are no longer just handing out life expectancy prognosis without being asked; it's cruel. Conversely, I appreciate a straight answer to a straight question and it seems as though you want to have some idea - maybe just so you know when you've beaten the odds! :lol:

Think about how much you want to know and if it will do more harm than good. If, ultimately, it's a good thing for you - go ahead and discuss with your doctor.

And always remember that you might be the one who doesn't fit into the stats.

I didn't have lymph node involvement but have managed to last almost 6 years from biopsy. My oncologist said no one knows how long anyone will live. So I try not to think about those averages and just live my life.

There have been so many advances in the last few years, and there are more lung cancer survivors, that I think the 5 year average is out of date.