Just found out my mother has lung cancer

agent_samsonite

Hello everyone. I don't know where to begin and I'm a little distraught, but my mom had just been diagnosed about an hour ago with lung cancer. She had a lump under her arm which had been removed last week and taken in for a biopsy and they found squamous lung cancer cells in it. The doctor said the cancer isnt in the lungs itself but on the mid-sternum. I'm basically looking for info to educate myself and my mother so we can get an idea of what kind of fight were in for. If you have any piece of advice you could throw my way it would be greatly appreciated. Keep my mom in your prayers. Thanks.

Hello and welcome.

It is so hard to get this news and feel so overwhelmed.

You are doing what you can and you are certainly on the ball by finding us so soon after dx.

I am sure as others read your post more advice will come.

I only have support and understanding and prayer to offer.

Hugs

Pat

Welcome to the group!

You're overwhelmed, distraught, and faced with an immensely complex subject with all sorts of strange terms that you've never dealt with before. Then you read some of our posts and see how we toss those same terms around like we've been doing it all of our lives and feel even more inadequate. Believe me, that feeling will pass faster than you think possible! We've all been in your position, many of us very recently.

There's plenty of information on the web, some of great and some of it trash. For initial education stick to reputable sites like those of the major cancer centers -- www.mdanderson.org or www.mskcc.org, for example.

Next, I suggest you visit onctalk.com. There's a wealth of information there, primarily on lung cancer, constantly updated by a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions from people like you and me. A lot of us have "dual citizenship" so to speak, and use the same usernames there as here.

Please give us more information on your mom's symptoms, specific tests done, and any more details on the diagnosis and planned treatment. There may be lots more tests coming up soon -- CT (perhaps already done), brain MRI, bone scan, PET scan, etc. Use the profile feature (what you see at the bottom of our messages) to avoid a lot of retyping every time you post. Here's how to start your (your mom's) profile:

Click on My Profile above, scroll down to the Signature block, enter/update your information, scroll down further, ensure Always attach my signature is marked Yes, and click Submit at the very bottom.

Then ask questions, as many and as often as you like. That's what we're here for! And believe it or not, before long you'll be answering questions for new arrivals too.

Aloha,

Ned

Hello and welcome. Ned gave you good advice. Check out his suggestions as a starting point. They may lead you to other places, also. What treatment(s) are planned for your mother? Is she seeing an oncologist or a pulmonologist yet? Has anyone mentioned surgery? Has she had a CT scan? You must feel overwhelmed. I do just reading those questions. I'm glad you added your mom's profile. Be sure to update it often. Keep in touch with us.

Muriel

Oh man so much info here suddenly Gonna give you a couple of Links First Is Lance Armstrong. THey will provide FREE Cancer kits for Doctors appointments. You can use these to record all the info from the Doctors visit and not forget anything. Click here to be redirected to Lances site;

http://store.store-laf.org/nt001.html

this should link you directly to the note book.

This is a Link the was mentioned OncTalk. Dr West runs this site and is our on call oncologist from Washington state HE is a wealth of info and very prompt in getting back answers to questions.

http://onctalk.com/

Next step Breath in and then Breath out.....

This is not a death sentence by any means. Sionce you are so very new to this Let me recommend reading throught the Good news and Inspirational forums. These 2 forums will give you some encouragement and peace of mind for Both You and Mom and Dad also.

This is all I can add right now. Write down all questions for Doctors visit as soon as you think of them and write down answers to questions at visit. Tell us as much as possible and we can be lots of help. we have a huge Prayer list and welcome everyone to join it as soon as they ask and since you have I will say aprayer for you and Parents tonite also and Many more every nite...

I am also in Michigan. The University of Michigan has a lung cancer clinic and I would take your mom there for a second opinion (once you get your treatment plan) just to put your mind at ease that things are on the right track. Keep us posted on how things go. Welcome to the board.

Rochelle

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and to let you know that prayers are with you and your mom. This is the place to be when you have questions or just need to vent!! We will all be there for you.

Please keep us posted on mom's progress and know that we are thinking of you.

Hugs - Patti B.