Mom will start chemo

jmills

My mom is scheduled to start chemo on Thursday morning. She has an appointment to meet with the dr at the cancer clinic tomorrow. Last week she had a bone scan, CT scan, and heart test. We still don't know the type of cancer or staging, hopefully we will get more answers tomorrow. I am staying at mom & dad's now for the month, wow it sure feels better to be here than thousands of miles away worrying. She seems good, other than terrible coughing spells. Are the coughing spells normal for everyone with lung cancer? She is still smoking and refuses to consider quitting, at this stage she feels it is too late, and wants to enjoy the rest of her life her way - can't really argue with that. Do most people get sick the first time they get chemo? Does hair falling out start right away?

Thank you all for the support offered on this site!

Hi jmills,

I'm so happy for you that you can be there with your mom right now. I'm sure that feels good for both of you.

As far as how chemo will affect your mom - everyone is different. However, I can say my mom has finished round 2 and has had no nausea. A few days of diarhea and fatigue have been her main side effects. Her hair did start to fall out on week 3 (she chose to shave it) which is exactly when the onc's said it would, based on her treatment. But again, everyone is different. I've also read staying hydrated during chemo is very important.

Please keep us posted on how things are going for you and your mom.

Nicole

Not all chemos cause hair loss. I lost mine on Carbo & Taxol, but didn't on cisplatin and Gemzar. If it does, I think it happens about 2 weeks after the first treatment. If she is going to have a wig, it would be a good idea to get it before then. There are nice hats and scarves, too. Some people do a lot of coughing, others don't. Good that you can be there with her.

Muriel

My mom does go through coughing spells also. But yeah everyone is different. My mom has been going through treatment since October and has not lost her hair. As far as the smoking thing my mom quit at diagnosis but still says she misses a cigarette even though she knows it probably contributed to her disease. Best of luck to your mom and you and glad to hear you can be with your mom now.

Marci

How wonderful that you get to spend a month with your mom.

My mom had years of coughing spells before her dx.--I think that is a common symptom of lc. (unfortunately it was ignored for too long...) After surgery they basically went away.

My mom had already lost her hair from whole brain radiation before her chemo started so I can't help you there.

I wish you strength as you embark on the scary journey of cancer treatments with your mom. She's lucky to have you.

I smoked for over 30 years and had my last 1 on the hospital steps before I went in for a lobectomy. The spot on my lung was superficial and did not enter the lining. The quitting was alot easier than I had anticipated but you certainly need to have the desire.

It is great that you can spend the time there for emotional support.

jmills-

I am glad you are with her now. I went through this with my Mom too. She had two sessions of chemo, each three days in a row. After each one she got very sick for one reason or another. She ended up in the hospital with a urinary tract infection once and a very high fever the next time. She decided that was enough. The Onc. said that was OK but we'd keep an eye on her cell counts through blood work. Her last treatment was in mid-July. Mid Sept, her blood work was great, very good results.

She died six weeks later on 1st of November. When this disease takes off it happens very fast.

Make each moment count.

Hi jmills,

Wonderful that you get to spend the month with your Mom! My husband struggled with a bad cough quite a bit, but I think it was after his chest radiation. From my reading here, seems like that symptom varies from person to person.

My husband was a long-time smoker. Initially, he cut back and considered quitting, but I really think that added more stress at a time when he needed less stress. So, he continued to smoke throughout his treatments, which for him, was probably the best choice. Again, people have different thoughts in this area, but supporting and loving her is the best medicine you can give her.

Take care of yourself,

Lynne