Pneumothorax after Port placed

Shelley (MLC)

Hi, just looking for a little info here. My mom had a port placed today. There was some difficulty due to scar tissue in the area from her previous radiation treatments. ANYWAY, they got the port in but ended up causing a pneumo. I heard 3rd hand and 3000 miles away that they brought her back to the procedure room and placed a Heimlich catheter to help reinflate the lung. They are going to keep her in the hospital for a couple days and then send her home. My questions are: 1) She seems to be having a great deal of pain at the port site. Is this normal? I believe she's on demerol for this. 2) Does the Heimlich catheter usually do the job or is it likely she'll need chest tubes (much larger and more invasive) Finally 3) When can she expect to feel better, breathing wise from the pneumo and pain wise from the port. Any answers are greatly appreciated. At this pioint, I'm a little sorry I encouraged her to get the port. Thanks! Shelley

Gosh, Shelley, I'm really sorry to hear about the complication. I looked over your mom's profile again and I believe the radiation you're speaking of was during the 2002 larynx treatments, correct? I didn't realize scar tissue could be such a factor in surgery until Connie's problem last month, but if that was the source of your mom's difficulty too, then I guess it's something we all need to be aware of.

I wish I could help you with your questions, but my port placement was nothing like your mom's in complexity. It was done under local anesthesia, took about 10 minutes, and there was no residual pain except for some shoulder soreness for a few days and the usual tenderness around the incision. My pneumothorax was from the cancer itself, or perhaps the thoracotomy, not from the port. It eventually cleared up by itself.

Try not to blame yourself for any of this. There's no way you could have anticipated such a problem, and I'll bet the surgeon was surprised too. I have no doubt your terrific mom will be fine very soon. Aloha,

Ned

Shelley,

I'm sorry that this became complicated for your Mom. Could they have placed the port on another side that wasn't previously radiated? There is always a small risk of pneumothorax with this procedure. Typically the actual port procedure is as Ned described. Tony slept on that side the same night with no pain. Gosh darn, I sure hope she will re-inflate and not have any more problems or have to go for the bigger tube. We had some collapse issues due to pleural effusion, but didn't need any invasive procedures as the lung re-inflated on it's own and the pain went away quickly.

God bless and hoping for a speedy recovery. Your Mom sure didn't need this. :(

Welthy

Welthy and Ned, Thanks for your responses. I believe that mom went in assuming the procedure would be as both of you described, but unfortunately that didn't happen. (Yes, the scar tissure would have been from the radiation back in 2002) My sister called last night with answers to a few of my questions. It turns out that they DID put in a chest tube (the larger of the two options) and that is connected to suction. The plan was to clamp the tub this morning and take her to xray to see how the lung was. A second sister happened to call my mom's room after the tube was clamped, but before the xray, and mom was very SOB. My mom wasn't going to call the nurses as "they said they'd be right back"...well, my sister called the desk anyway and made sure someone got in there. Apparently now, (3 hours later) mom sounds better and the chest tube is reconnected to suction. I am going to call her room shortly. I know she was hoping to go home today, but I'm sure it will be a few more days at least. It's very frustrating that all I can do from out here is worry. Overall, mom has done so well this past year with chemo...very few side effects. I wish this had gone as well for her. Thanks for being there for me. Shelley

Shelley,

I'm sorry to read that your mom had problems having th port put in. My mom had her port put in before she even began chemo. She had some discomfort for a few days, but nothing like your mom has experienced. I hope the chest tube does it's job and she is feeling better soon. Keep us posted.

Hugs,

Lisa

Shelley,

Oh no, the dreaded big tube or at least that's how Tony felt about it. :shock:

Sure hope they can get her off of it soon and her lung will behave itself. I know how much she is hating being in the hospital, but they won't be rushing her home with any doubts. You wouldn't want that for her anyway.

Why the hell didn't they go for the port placement on her non-radiated side? :? They must have had a reason or one would hope...

Sending high hopes, hugs, and prayers,

Welthy

She had the radiation for laryngeal cancer back in 2002, so perhaps the damage covered both sides. Of course, maybe the problems had nothing at all to do with the scar tissue and that's just the story I am getting. My sister hasn't even told me what side they put the port on...Much more of this and I'll have to hop on a plane and see everything for myself. Of course, that's what I did last year when mom was first diagnosed, and I ended up stranded there for an extra week due to a major snowstorm. Anyway, she sounds much better this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed that she does better the next time they try and clamp the tube! Shelley

Shelley ... they collapsed my right lung during the original biopsy and then collapsed my left lung when they put in my port. They used the big chest tube each time with the suction to reinflate my lung. Both times it took a total of 5 days before the released me. They finally quit unhooking me and taking me to x-ray and just ordered the portable x-ray to come to me. I had the big tube in two different locations the first one was put in above my breast in front on the right side and the second was place in my back on the left side. The one in the back seemed to be the most painful for the longest. I do remember the port site hurting some but the tube was a great distraction. Hope you mom is doing better.

Shelley I got your pm and feel free to e-mail me or whatever you need to do. The first time they clamped my tube they said they would be back in thirty minutes to check on me. Within 5 minutes I knew I was in trouble and would have clamped a few of their heads off if I could have drawn a big enoug breath to move. From that time on they never left me when they clamped a tube they stayed right with me and I believe the second time they clamped it I kept my hand on the clamp because I was not going to wait on them to get air to me. Tell your mom to hang in there and things will improve. We have to climb each darn mountain they place in front of us but somehow we manage to do it. Judy

Shelley,

I'm sorry to hear about this complication for your mom. My mom got her port in her arm and hasn't had any trouble with it, so I don't have any advice on the port issue. I can provide daughter advice--if it will make you feel better to get on a plane and go see her for yourself--GO! I realize that may be easuier said than done, but I know how hard it is to be so far away.

Susan