Been feeling fair and partly cloudy

-Cheryl-

Hello Everyone,

I had another postop appt. with my surgeon this past week. An x-ray showed something cloudy going on in my lung that I had surgery on. The Dr. thought it was some kind of infection, maybe bronchitis. I still have the dry cough, but no breathing difficulties or fever. I asked him if it could be aspirated fluid , because I still choke at time on fluids. My esophagus does not close fast enough when I drink, or I will choke and hav a coughing attack due to acid reflux. I have no pain any longer, like I did when going through radiaton. However, sometimes just swallow wrong. Any how, I have started that exaggerated, irrational thinking process....could this be pneumonia? What if its cancer? THe doctor didn't give me anything for it and said, "I'll see you back in Feb.!" Now, I had a CAT scan done only 11 days prior and Onc said nothing of a cloudy area in my lung. He said, "All looks O.K., just a lot of changes due to surgery. You also have a very small plueral effusion due to the trauma your lungs have been through, which is normal"

Would an infection look like this on an x-ray? Has anyone experienced any of this?

I have been feeling anxious and not sleeping well. Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheryl

Peg, I too went to my doctor for the flu and pneumonia shot, but was told to ask my onc about it first. My RBC was still down at the time. My onc gave me the flu shot and I have yet to get the pneumonia shot. I understand that it is supposed to last several years. Was Bill's shot combined or something?

Don, I have to remind myself not to think the worst. You are right about not "borrowing trouble."

Cheryl

Cheryl,

My surgery was in February, radiation was in the spring and I STILL experience choking spells due to my esophagus deciding to work 99% of the time. Sometimes I choke on a simple swallow of saliva (and believe me, taking a drink of water to "help" makes me feel like I'm gonna drown), sometimes I choke while eating or drinking - no warning, just a "spasm" where the wrong tube is open for the current work process and I'm hacking up my OTHER lung...

My oncologist sent me to my GP for the shot question. Since the whole reason we found out about the cancer was a case of pneumonia, she sent the nurse in with TWO syringes - flu and pneumonia. I believe a flu shot is an annual thing, where the pneumonia shot I was given is every five years. The oncologist said it didn't matter either way, my GP wanted to play it safe. I guess it's up to you and your "team" what is best in your situation...(I had thought I'd be getting OUT of the needles due to my oncologist's opinion, but since the GP is the one that picked it all up in the first place, most of my faith is with her...ya know?)

All the best to ya!

Becky

Becky,

Glad to know that this just isn't unique to me. I hate the coughing attacks too. I don't want people at work to think "That girl thinks she better? Is she delussional? She sounds like she is on her last leg!" Ha! So, I sit there in meetings trying to repress my coughs till I just can't stand it any more. THen have to let it rip! THanks for info about pneumonia shot too!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I needed an interpreter to read my xrays after surgery. Literally, the one doctor would be on the phone with the other doctor about what he was seeing and what it meant post surgically.

Don has some good advice. Don't borrow trouble.

Try the chloraseptic spray for the meetings. It'll hold the tickle down.

And the reflux esophagitis does eventually go away. Mine finally did somewhere between the first and second year I think.

You're doing a wonderful job of recovering, so give yourself credit, woman. Hooray for Cheryl!!!

Warm regards,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Cheryl,

What you are experiencing right now is what Buddy had up until about 2 weeks ago. He finally stopped the choking problem and the coughing. Oh, he does cough a little but so do I and everyone else. I never thought he would stop the choking problem. There for awhile, it seemed to happen at least once a day but thank God, it is gone. It has taken since 9/11/02 to now so don't give up hope.

As for the lung thing. Do as don suggested plus give all of your problems to God and let him handle them. That is what I am trying to do. Sleepless nights are bad. I still have them. You and I should instant message everynite. haha

God love you Cheryl, I know in my heart you are doing fine. It is such a horrible worry but am sure everyone on here has or is worrying the same worry until at least a few years pass then I guess you and I and all the rest will get some sleep....