I'm new too.

TamD

Hi, first of all, I want to say this site is wonderful. I have read a lot of information here and am very thankful for this. I am a 30yr old that has found out that her 54yr old mother has NSCLC. After trying to absorb this information for 2 weeks we then found out that it has spread to her brain. The doctor found 3 or 4 small tumors on her brain by a head cat scan. I have never in my life had such shocking news. My mom is my best friend, and my mother. This has been surreal. Okay, so my question to all of you is, has anyone elce gone this route, and if so what are you doing. She started radiation 5 days ago, and is taking steriods. I am not sure of the dose. I would just love to hear from someone out there to give me advice. She has the support of her family, and we are trying to keep her spirits high, but that isn't always easy to do.

Again, thanks for a great site, it helps to talk to people that know what you are going through.

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

Sorry to hear about your Mothers diagnosis. I think that the brain is a common site for metasis. There are others hear that can better speak to the treatments. I have heard that radiation to s pecific area can be very effective. Good luck. I hope things progress well.....

Tammy, let me begin by welcoming you. There is a wealth of information and support here-make use of it-for you and for your moms sake.

Now, my dad was diagnosed in January 2002 with NSCLC. In January 2003 he was diagnosed with brain mets (three of them), I was scared as anything and thought-well this is it...but was so wrong. There is ALOT to be done for brain mets-my dad had Gamma Knife on the three tumors, and it was done in ONE session-and was successful. Gamma knife is radiation therapy that is pinpoined to the tumors and leave the remaning healthy brain tissue unharmed. THere is alot of information about brain mets here, many experiences, so keep searching. I hope this was of some help to you. As my dads oncologist told me upon the findings of the brain mets-don't worry-brain mets will NOT kill you father.

Please take care and keep us posted. Deb

Tammy,

I cannot help with the 'mets to the brain''...but I can offer prayers for comfort, peace in your decisions, and strength to face the coming weeks and months.

I think that it took six weeks before the diagnosis sets in...and reality hits and is absorbed before you can even begin to function (or it did for me and my husband).

I can offer a shoulder to lean on and a heart to listen with.

If you need to talk...we are here.

Lynne

Tammy,

I am sorry that you and your family are going through this.

I have no answers to your questions, but keep checking back, someone here will have something to offer. There are so many here that are willing to share and give support in this terrible time.

Hugs and prayers coming your way.

Shirley

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Welcome to this board. I'm sorry I don't know much about NSCLC, but there are wonderous people here who do and will give you much info. and support.

Guest Piermarie

Tammy,

My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 NCLSC in the Spring '03 and she also had mets to the brain (liver and bone). She underwent 15 days of whole brain radiation followed a few weeks later with stereotactic radiosurgery in July/August. It is also called gamma knife surgery. She tolerated the procedure and the radiation quite well and her lesions (she had four) are now gone except for one which is showing signs of calcification and is almost gone.

I know what you are going through, my mom is also my best friend and she now lives with me, my husband and our two girls (5 and 3). I love having her here with me and I enjoy every moment I have to spend with her. It took a while but we can now talk about things that were hard to talk about at first and it has taken a lot of the anxiety away from both of us. Keep the communications open and if you've ever held back things you've wanted to say to her, do it...have no regrets!!!!

Most Sincerely,

Pier