Is this it? is my father dying now?

i've explained my fathers lung cancer in a prvious thread, he was diagnosed about 9 months ago. and it went to the Brain and Bones, now we noticing he is hurting in his bones, and the past few days he is forgetting everything and today he is not making any sense whatsover, he is almost like a baby today, says a few things that make sense but the rest no! He won't even eat much in the past few days and today he won't touch food! Today he has not coughed much at all, as he usually does, but he is telling me that today he has a bad headache, this is the first time he has complained of this! HE keeps telling me I'm Tired, i'm Tired, and he said once i'm going to die Tarek!!!

i don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Tarek. You said you go back to th US on June 5th? Sorry to hear your Dad will not eat and his head hurts. Do you have Boost or Ensure ( liquids with total nutrition in them) available there? If he keep sipping on them it may help. Does he have pain medicine for his head pain? If not can you get it from his doctor. Please keep us posted on how he and you are doing.

Donna G

Hi Tarek. I am so sorry for what you are going through. Focus on the liquids. I have heard others say on this board that dehyrdation is common. So a meal supplement like Donna is suggesting would be good as well but if he won't take that right away...focus on liquids. And phone a doctor or nurse and get some other advice. You are not alone in this. Myself and others are thinking of you. Do the best you can.

Tarek...

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this heartache...I know how difficult it is to worry about our parents.

My mom spent many months only eating a bite or two of banana and sips of iced tea and water. She told me that if it was too cool she couldn't stand to drink it, nor if it was too warm.

The mets to her brain did strange things to her memory, also. Sometimes she'd had to search with all her might to find the right word, other times she'd forget what she was doing earlier in the day. And yes, sometimes it would be like she was a baby. This all started a few months before she died and just progressively got worse.

Sending good thoughts and hope for peace for you...

Tarek,

Hi, I'm sorry things are so hard for you and your Dad.

From reading your previous post it, I believe that you are at your Dad's house dealing with this alone.

Can you contact your father's doctor or make arrangements for your father to see him?

I don't know what options are available in Egypt, but maybe some home services or the equivalent to our hospice organizations here in the U.S are available. It would certainly help at this time, to take the complete load off of you, and to make your Dad more comfortable.

Wishing you peace,

Gail

Two things.

1. MAKE SURE HE IS GETTING FLUID. it may even make sense to take him in to the doctor to get him on an IV to get h8im hydrated.

2. Is he on pain medications? which? Some can definitely cause hallucinations and have psychologucal effect. My father at certain points was on pain medicines that really impacted him psychologically (talking nonsense and the like). Have your onc. fiddle with his medicines.

It is very scary and lonely to see one's father in that state. Be strong.

We went to the doctor today and he did put him on an IV for dehydration and vitamins since he won't eat, and also a Glucose I.V, BUT the nurse came to our house to insert a needle so we can put the IV in daily, and no where could we insert it, All his veins are diminished because he has Berger's disease ALSO FROM SMOKING...he has not ate anything today and refuses to try more veins for the IV...Tomorrow we are doing more scans as ordered by the Onc!

One strange thing is also HIS EYE COLOR!! The color of his eyes today looked almost clear blue..he has Brown eyes..very strange!

Tarek,

It's good to hear that your Dad is getting medical attention and scans . Hope they will find a way to help you care for him at home. It's good that you are going tomorrow for scans and to the oncologist. The doctors should help you get help for him. Let us know what tomorrow brings and May God be with you.

Sue

Tarek-

I am so sorry to hear that your dad is having so many problems. I am glad you are going to the doctor tomorrow to get scans. Will you get the results right away??

Please keep trying to get hinm to take any kind of fluid you can.

This must be so scary for you - I will be thinking of you and praying for you and your dad.

Wishing you peace - Patti B.