Getting to Know You June 6

SandraL

The Lighter Side of Cancer

During our journey, I am sure we have all had those humorous moments. Whether it be in the oncologist’s office, the radiation hall, the chemo room or an interaction with someone. I have had many but do have a rather warped sense of humor! I thought it might be fun for us to share our lighter side of cancer experiences.

Here is one of mine. One day during my first round of radiation treatments, I was in the waiting area waiting patiently for my zap. A younger couple arrived pushing an older fellow in a wheelchair. They were his neighbors and they were looking after him. It seemed to be his first day at the clinic and after meeting with the oncologist they headed straight for radiation. The radiation tech was explaining the radiation treatment to this couple and they were listening intently and looking very concerned. It was explained that he would be in the radiation machine for no more than 5 minutes. Well the husband expelled a sigh of relief and explained that he had understood that they were going to be there for hours that day, and he was assuming that the poor old guy was just going to be “fried” after all that radiation. Well, the thought of somebody being in the radiation machine for hours struck me as horribly funny and at that point I broke into hysterical laughter. Shame on me I know but I could not stop laughing. And the couple, other patients and radiation techs are just like, staring at me in disbelief! The husband finally got it and at least smiled at me. Well then I was of course called for my treatment and was thinking how the heck am I going to lie still after that hilarity. But I did.

So now months later I found myself back in that radiation hallway again. And yes, the techs do remember me. And I got payback for my bad humor as it was I who was getting the big blasts now!

Since radiation and Tarceva I have some lovely bald spots on my head of now very short hair -

I was sitting on the floor with the preschoolers I teach. As I tried to get up to standing I said I could use some help as my old bones don't work as well as they used to. One little boy studied my face very carefully and said - "You're not old are you Mrs. Brown? I mean - you do have some baldy spots - but you don't have any crinkles." :D:D

The best laugh I ever had was when I was talking to an older gent who had LC and he said he was flying to OKlahoma to go to the cancer center and had to get a note from his doc explainig his treatment. He said he had so much Nuclear Meds that the sniffers might go off and give him a terrorist tag at the airport. :oops::lol:

:o:o HE WAS SERIOUS TOOO!!!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock:

Randy, your story just reminded me of my interaction at the border with US crossing guards after a PET scan.

I had my first PET scan last fall. Before I went in I had to answer a bunch of questions, including "Are you planning on crossing the border or going on an airplane in the next 24 hours? We were headed to Seatlle the next day as PET scan was in Vancouver and we decided to make a family weekend of it.

The PET scan tech explained to me that you do have enough radioactivity in your body to set off the sensors at border crossings. He thought I would be fine though as I wasn't going over until the following day. But he did say that there have definitely been incidents where the crossing guards have "gotten their guns out first and asked questions later". So they provide you with a letter explaining the PET scan treatment and that you have radioactive stuff in your body. So I kind of laughed about that and told my family I was "one hot radioactive mama".

Sure enough...by the time we got to the crossing guard station...we got pulled over REAL FAST!! And were told to all head in, which line to stand in and to leave the keys in the car! Thank goodness we knew what was going on so we weren't too scared, but my kids are pretty young. We then got pulled out of the normal line and got hauled into the "special" room in the back. They do see this fairly often apparently, and asked if anyone had medical treatments. My letter came out real fast and then they gave me a good going over with their radioactivity sensing machine. It did beep for sure. And they gave our car a good going over in the meantime as well. But then they let us go on our merry way.

I was really shocked to know that even just driving up to the station, that there is real sensitive equipment scanning each and every vehicle. My levels were low but they were detected through a mini van! At least I got to be a "hot radioactive mama" once in my life!

I was really shocked to know that even just driving up to the station, that there is real sensitive equipment scanning each and every vehicle. My levels were low but they were detected through a mini van!

It's reassuring to know that some of our tax dollars have been well spent! Aloha,

Ned

Thought of one! Those of you who've been around the boards may remember that a couple of months ago I was going bonkers about Avastin maintenance. It was my first or second such infusion and I reluctantly went for my treatment. In the waiting room I recalled that they couldn't give me my first Avastin infusion in my original cocktail because of protein in my urine. I told the young woman who was my chemo nurse that day that I really didn't want to do this infusion and had decided that if it wasn't meant for me to take it, my body would throw protein in my urine. When the labs came back, the nurse returned and with a straight face said, "I'm sorry to disappoint you. You not only didn't show protein, you showed negative protein. So, what are we going to do?" I chickened out and went for the treatment. So much for my body betraying my wishes!

Judy in Key West

OK - heres one - kinda one of those you-had-to-be-there sort of thing.

My friend Liz always take me to chemo so my husband doesn't have to take off work. This past April, she was in a frenzy because her daughter had made YMCA swimming nationals in Florida and she was SO worried they would get sick right before they left - there was a horrid stomach flu going around here.

So we are in the docs waiting room and the nurse leaves the room, but she - god forbid - sneezed on the way out!! Liz jumps up to use the anti-bacteria foam wall unit that was right by the door. You are supposed to just pull the little tube on the bottom forward but somehow it stuck; the foam shot out all over the place and just as this was happening, doc walks in with a cup of coffee in his hand - yep, it even flew in his coffee. He was standing there just staring at his coffee and said, I usually drink mine black!!! We laughed so hard!!! Now every time I go, Liz purposely runs to the hand sanitizer and I duck oand cover!!!

Gotta have some humor through all this!!!