Vision Changes - symptoms of brain mets?

Bette64

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right forum but I wanted to ask question about symptoms of brain mets. I have nsclc and am now 2 yr lung cancer survivor. Two months ago I saw my oncologist and a chest xray was done which was normal. I mentioned to him that I was having mild headaches esp. in the mornings. After my coffee and a tylenol, it gets better and is gone by afternoon. Because I have a history of TMJ (jaw problems), he thought that was the cause of my headaches. He did schedule a CTscan of chest to be done next month -July 21.

Well the past few days I've noticed vision problems - not blurred or double but a change in my vision. I am very nearsighted and am blind as a bat for distance without my glasses or contacts. But I've noticed lately I can't see as well through my glasses. When I take them off, my nearsighted vision is improved ?? very strange for me. I'm also still having the headaches 2 or 3 times a week.

I have found out that once you get cancer, no matter what the CTscans and chest xrays show, you still worry that it will return and show up on the next checkup. Maybe as more time goes by with remission, I'll worry less .. but I sort of doubt it.

Sorry this is so long.

Bette

Hi Bette,

I don't know how old you are, but as people get older their vision changes. I was in my early 40s when mine did and one of my sons is 45 and said that his is too. So that could be one explanation.

Brain mets? I don't know. But, since you are concerned, I'd ask for a MRI.

Let us know what it is.

Muriel

Hi Bette-

I was having terrific headaches which of course I attributed to a brain met. Come to find out, I had Avastin-induced high blood pressure. My onc did tell me at the time that with brain mets, headaches are more common in the morning but Tylenol will NOT help.

Had you Bp checked lately??????

I would definitely ask for an MRI. Please let us know the results. Will be thinking of you.

Hugs - Patti B.

I have low blood pressure so I know that's not the reason. I am going to call my oncologist this week about including a MRI or CTscan of the brain when I have my CTscan next month. Does a MRI give a better picture than the brain CTscan?

thanks for all your answers,

Bette

Definitely get an MRI over a cat scan of the head. My husband had a cat scan and it was clear but the MRI showed several mets including one the size of a walnut.

My husband did experience headaches that went away with Tylenol - it was an annoying one that always started in the same place which we later found out was where the largest met was.

He never expressed any issues with his vision.

Follow up on this and insist on a head MRI.

I'll be praying for you.

Karla

Unlike some others while its possible mets maybe present I would be surprised if that was the case....I almost never had headaches and like you I started getting them not long after chemo and have had them ever since which is just under a year and 1/2 I had CT of the head and a brain MRI (which does give a better image) and there were no mets. So although I dont know what is causing my headaches and some vision changes..similar to yours.....I do know what is not causing them. Sometimes chemo does strange and long lasting things to our bodies and minds. Because I do not have a M.D. after my name by all means...if even just for your peace of mind try the MRI...dont even mess with a CT for the head MRI is much better. And you thought your post was long. Keep in mind that while it is your right to ask for a MRI ins company may not agree....check before to make sure they will cover it

Well I finally decided to call my oncologist's office today. I talked with his nurse and told her about my mild headaches and vision problems. She talked with my oncologist and he is going to include the brain in the chest/abdomen CTScan scheduled on July 21. While I know that the brain CTscan is not as great a diagnosing tool as the MRI, I'll go ahead and have this test done and then see what shows up.

I have posted at Dr. West's site about this and he feels that if my headaches back in April (when I last saw my oncologist and mentioned them to him) were because of a brain met, that my headaches would be increasing in frequency and pain by now. They haven't - in fact, I'm having less headaches but more vision problems. Again, that could be due to the myasthenia gravis .. it's just when we get a cancer diagnosis, all new symptoms could mean mets to me. I know you all understand.

Bette

Bette:

I've not had any headaches, but re vision, I had been near-sighted since I was 14 years old (20-45 and 20-75), and then when I went in for my last check up, I was 20-25 and 20-30!

I have no idea why my vision improved, nor does my opthalmologist, although he did say it sometimes happens (for reasons unknown). Also note that it was at this same exam that he found my Prednisone-induced cataract, but according to him this is unrelated to vision improvement.

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--the late, great George Carlin

Carole,

This is what is happening with me. I am very nearsighted and need glasses or contacts to see/drive, etc. Now with the change in my vision, I can take my glasses off and actually see better then I used to -not as well as with my glasses but definitely it has improved. Of course, the improved vision is the reason I can't see as well with my glasses. I may need to see my eye physician and get new glasses provided the CTscan is ok which I'm praying it is.

I believe I did read that some people's vision improve as they age. But this hasn't been gradually - I've noticed it just the past 3-4 weeks.

Bett

Dear Bette,

As you know I had no symptoms. My single brain MET was picked up by a CT at only 7 mm. An MRI was then ordered which still just showed the one but it also showed the ring of swelling around it. While I know that the CT picking it up may have just been the luck of how it sliced through it's not unusual that doctors start with a CT.

You had your surgery and chemo over two years ago and have never had a brain scan. It's just my personal opinion but I would think asking for one is not an unreasonable request. Im happy you have asked for and received a brain scan added to your others, :idea: might as well do it all at the same time

Sending positive thoughts that your just fine.

It doesn't sound like "normal" symptoms. Often people tell about sparkling lights or spots, and double vision. When my mother was diagnosed, she had blinking spots in her right eye, and two days later were talking strange.

I don't think the symptoms disappear again - Unless something anti-flammitory like prednisone make swelling go away.

Let us know, when you know, Bettina

Bettina