Results of bronch/media

Kelly

Hi everybody!

I got the results of the mediastinoscopy and bronchoscopy today. I have non-small cell lung cancer, squamous cell carcinoma, stage IIIA.

Apparently I start radiation and chemo in a week or two. I have to travel to another city near where I live for the treatment. The surgeon told me the clinic will explain everything to me.

Does anyone else have the type and stage of lung cancer I do, and/or can tell me what to expect from the radiation/chemo combo?

Also, I was quite surprised when the surgeon told me there is a 20 to 25 per cent cure rate with what I've got - I didn't think there would be a cure rate at all! So, that was encouraging. Is that true? He also said average lifespan is two years, though.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well! I'm not sure if this should be posted here in the Introduction section, or if I should be moving on to another section now?

Thanks!

Kelly

Kelly, I am sorry you got a lung cancer diagnosis. My husband has small cell, so I can't answer any questions about your cancer, but we have a quite a few folks here with your same diagnosis. Some are long term survivors. Just give it awhile. They will start posting.

Lynn

Kelly, I had what you have, but less of it. I was able to have surgery and chose to have adjuvant chemo just as a precaution. I think most people with your dx. are given taxol, carboplatin, and sometimes avastin. But there are lots of different protocols, so your doctors may choose something else.

You definitely will want to have a "port" put into your chest to be used to infuse the chemo. Otherwise, the nurses will be looking for a vein each time you have chemo and not everyone's veins hold up very well. So, ask the dr./clinic about getting a port. If they tell you that you may lose your hair, think about getting a wig before that happens. It's just easier that way. But, maybe you won't lose yours.

Some people have lived quite a while with stage IIIA NSCLC. Don't pay any attention to the statistics - they're based on people who were diagnosed quite a while ago and now there are more and better drugs.

Let us know when you will be starting chemo and what they are going to give you. This seems scary, but it really isn't as bad as you might think!

Muriel

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for the tip, re: getting a port. I know I will be getting chemo, but the doctor said I'd be getting radiation, too. Maybe at the same time. Not sure. If I lose my hair, I think I'll just wear a hat!

Yes, a friend of mine at work lost her hair due to breast cancer, and she found the wigs really hot and uncomfortable, so she eventually just went to work bald headed! I'm not that brave, so hats scarves it will be!

Kelly

Hi, Kelly.

I was dx'd Stage IIIB, for which I underwent concurrent radiation and chemotherapy (cisplatin/etoposide). My NSCLC sub-type is squamous cell (as vs. adenocarcinoma, etc.) so Avastin isn't appropriate for me.

If you click my "Buying Time and Quality of Life" link below, you'll find more details of my "travail," keeping in mind that so far I've managed to stay alive five months past my "sell by" date.:D

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--the late, great George Carlin

Hey Kelly. Good to hear back from you, sorry about your news. I was 3a or b at diagnosis depending on who I talked to. See my signature for treatments to date...don't even think about stats...just get ready to fight for your life and be as positive as you can. You should probably move your posts now to NSCLC or LC survivors. Because that is what you are already, a survivor...take care and good luck with the treatments. They can be tolerated but are harder on some than others.

Take care

Sandra

Hi Kelly,Hopefully the chemo and radiation will shrink things up where you may be able to have surgery. Im not sure but I think Connie was diagnosed as a stage 3a and she is one of the longest survivors here. Read her profile.Prayers for you for a good outcome.

Thanks for the update, Kelly. Now you know what you're dealing with and can attack the cancer with everything available to you -- and that includes a positive attitude, which you certainly have. Let us know what specific chemo drugs are planned, and we can give you a better idea of the side effects others have experienced. Aloha,

Ned