Alimta side effects?

SandraL

It seems to have happened to me again now after 2nd round of alitma. A number of days after treatment, same as last time. Major headache, fever, nausea, upset stomach, major brain fog and exhaustion. I slept for a number of hours this afternoon...unheard of for me. Seems strange for alimta given what I have read...anyone else have these kinds of symptoms?

Sandra-

Alimta was pretty hard on John. He had the same experience. It got so bad towards the end that he had to ask the onc for a break before he could do the last one. The good news-- he got results with it -- I hope you do too!

Sandra-

Sorry you are having those side effects. I have had none of them from Alimta (altho my life is a constant brain fog but don't think the chemo did it) :lol::lol:

Have you told the doc yet?? You probably should.

Hope you are feeling better today!!

Hugs - Patti

Sandra --

After my first alimta, I had fevers and extremely low blood pressure. Have you measured yours? Doc said it was amazing that I wasn't "fainting all over the place." Also my liver enzymes went way up.

I was hospiatlized for 3 days to get the blood pressure up and the liver enzymes down.

I've had 2 infusions since then with nothing but some mild fatigue.

Hope your reaction setlles down and it works for you,

Linda

Hi,

My mom has just taken a serious downturn after Alimta - she really began declining in the days prior to treatment (NSCLC which has met to bones in arms, legs, hips, spine and rib cage). After treatment, she was fine for about 2 days, then became so weak she could barely hold a cup of water, move to get to the bathroom, etc. Her pain was breaking through tylenol (she is extremely pain tolerant), she was extremely nauseous and experienced extreme fatigue. She couldn't really eat. Yesterday (6 days post treatment), she perked up a bit.

Can somebody please comment how long the side effects of the chemo last? We are trying to figure out if it is the cancer or if it is the Alimta. Side effects from other treatments (Tarceva which didn't work and Gemzar which did) seemed to disappear a few days later.

Thanks,

Agnes

thanks for replying Agnes. I was beginning to think I was only one who has suffered similarly. I had alitma last Mon, and went down real hard on Thurs afternoon. Was basically in and out of consciouness up until Sunday morning. Major headache, brain fog, bone pain, extreme fatigue, upset stomach and fever. Just very uncomfortable for days and I was going into clinic today if it didn't improve. Wanted to avoid emerg very badly but many here at home were quite worried as well. At least I slept a lot. I didn't eat very much either. So for me, was over 2 full days and that was a lot for me. I think I tolerated first line chemo better. Everyone is different. I hope your mom gets feeling better soon but please don't let it carry on for too long...seek medical help if needed. Sounds like your mom is in very good hands. Take care

Sandra

Sandra:

Sorry the Alimta is kicking you, but sounds like it's not all that "abnormal" a kicking (unlike mine which was, as you will recall, toxic to my lungs).

I did notice, however, that while you've suggested others contact their doctors, you noted that you yourself were avoiding ER. :?

Tsk. Tsk.

In other words, don't forget to take your own advice, girl!:D

Affectionately,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--the late, great George Carlin

Yes, Sandra, when Bill was on Alimta, he would experience great fatigue on or about the 3rd day, and it would last for 4-5 days. The fatigue was intense for that duration.

He would then return to normal, and go about his regular activities until the next go-rouond.

He had really good overall results from it, and had many treatments with it. Treatment began early in 2006, just after the Gemzar/Carboplatin.

When progression was seen in his neck nodule, Alimta was stopped and radiation to that area was begun.

Barbara

I tolerated Alimta very well for 3 years. The combination of Alimta and Avastin has been harder. Fatigue, and muscle soreness following exercise. 48 years old and in good physical condition when diagnosed. More about me here:http://www.lungevity.org/l_community/viewtopic.php?t=37828