Decadron question

coni

I have a question... Has anyone been on Decadron (dexamethasone) ? My hubby has been on it for about 2 weeks now and he has been soooooooo cranky :x so I was wondering if others had that problem... He is getting cut back starting Monday (thank goodness) so I'm HOPING that's what is making him so mean .. He is not the man I know.

Hi Coni. Decadron can definitely be mood altering and I am guessing higher doses are worse. It is a steroid and they can be nasty. I was on them as anti-nausea drugs and I actually found my mood at it's worst when coming off of them. So if they adjust the dose know that could also worsen things. It also keeps you awake. I was also prescribed it to help with my pain but I was really leary of getting back on it again and I didn't think it was helping so I got off it fast. Even when I got it prescribed through my 2nd kind of chemo I skipped lots of doses intentionally. Lots of decadron sitting in my cupboard and I hope it stays there. ISorry you are putting up with this, so many things throughout this journey pose their various challenges. Just good to know it is the drugs and not really him. I hope things get better soon.

Sandra

Coni, my husband was on decadron for 7 months. I didn't notice a change in his personality, but it is a steroid, so it's certainly possible. I have heard of people who had bad reactions with it, but I can't quite remember what those reactions were.

One other thing to note is that my husband was critically ill when he started on it. So his body certainly could have been eating it up.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I'm glad he gets to taper off. You'll get your answer soon.

Lynn

Coni,

Decadron landed my husband in the psych ward as it put him into a steriod induced psychosis. Once they weaned him off the drug he returned to the wonderful man I fell in love with. I believe once your husbanded has tapered of decadron he will return to his old self.

My mother on the decadron was, in HER words, a decadron Bi@#$. She made the guy at CVS give her a display with a big cardboard pumpkin because she thought it would look good in her yard.

It also made her a little "supermanish". I can do what ever lalala I fee awesome.

It's an interesting drug to say the least. I don't think you are experiencing anything unusal, but know it is a challenge.

Yep!!! My husband was super sensitive to steroids. Decadron had him red in the face and so wired he couldn't sit still . He even had sterioid induced psychosis from large amounts of prednisone. Steroids are oftentimes called the drug you love to hate or something like that. .. they do a wonderful job as an anti inflammatory , but they certainly have wicked side effects. Just know if your husband isn't himself and he lashes out at you.. it's the drugs not him. Try to be patient, he will start returning when they start lowering the dosages.

Sue

I started cutting him back yesterday, only by one pill...3 a day instead of 4 then next week he gets down to 2 day on and on... Today he is already tired and feeling down... wow what a nasty drug for sure... he was always biting my head off.