Work question and a little venting

Isunique

Has anyone had to look for a new job while going through all of this. I don't think I will be at my current job for very long. Quick history. I got my DX in Feb 08 surgery Apr 08. In between I was going for tests, etc and trying not to think the worst. My caring boss wrote me up for poor work performance for the dates of 03/03 and 03/04, guess what I was having a FNA on the 3rd and had to take off the 4th, due to a small lung oops. I schedule transportation for the elderly residents at the apartments where I work. The mistakes were nothing major, some typos, a little close on times, etc. She wrote that she spent all day and worked late to correct my mistakes. Well, I know that is not the case, but I can't do anything about it. Of course the fact that I was dealing with a potentially fatal disease didn't seem to concern her. I had my surgery in April and returned to work on June 11th. I am now getting written up for things that were done by others while I was off. So, that brings me to the place where I have to think about that process of looking for another job, not fun. My boss is one of those two faced type of people one is all smiles and what ever you need things and the other is all I care about is my self, and you can frig off. After I was back for awhile I sent her an E-mail telling her that yes, I was having some problems with my memory, words and verbalizling, results from the surgery, the very next day she wrote me another one of those caring E-mails to tell me that I forgot to put a return time down on one of the schedules. The daily sheet that the drivers use did have the return time on there. I should also mention that she is the micro manager from ****. I have managed to deal with the DX of LC, major surgery, etc and still only take one dose of wellbutrin a day. I have had to increase that to twice a day because of the work stress.

I keep thinking, why am I letting this BS get to me, it is not worth it, but I have this old fashioned thing with work ethics and having someone tell me that I am not doing my job right just doesn't sit well. I can't afford to quit. Okay, so that brings me back to my original question, Has anyone had to look for a new position after being DX with LC and has that been an issue with hopeful new employers?

Thanks for letting me vent some. I have found that if I talk with someone or type out my problems they tend to seem a little smaller or I can just put them where they belong better.

Have a great weekend and pray for all that are in the path of Ike.

Sarah

Hi Sarah. No I have definitely not had to look for a new job. I have had nothing but absolute support through my journey. I have a fairly senior job in our organization and am working part time right now because I LOVE my job. I certainly wouldn't love it if I didn't have the people around me that I do. My current boss actually gives me heck for showing up at work too much! Everyone there has nothing but the highest concern for my health overall and always insist that comes first. So I am very blessed.

So I don't blame you one little bit about looking for a new job. You just don't need that stress in your life. If it wasn't your current boss and your need for that job right now I am sure you would be giving her some feedback on how she has treated you. Since my diagnosis I do not let anything stew and if anyone disappoints me I forgive them first and then give them as productive feedback as possible. I can be very diplomatic! Much tougher of course when the person is your boss and she might fire you if you do so. But make sure you give her some feedback after you find a new job and leave. She sure doesn't sound like a very nice person. I actually usually just feel sorry for people like that...honestly. They are obviously not very happy with their own lives and need to take it out on others.

Happy job hunting!!

Sandra

Hi Sarah.

What a bummer! Looking for a better situation is no doubt a good idea but, on your way out, have you thought filing a complaint with whomever one files such complaints with with respect to violations of the ADA? Blaming you for errors made in your absence seems like a can't-lose one, for sure! And the rest is really obnoxious. If, for whatever reason, she feels you're not up to your usual efficiency, I would think the ADA would require her to work with you and reorganize things. Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

Ellen in PA

Sarah-

It's time to dust off that company policy manual and check on the grievance procedure. You should file a grievance regarding all the inappropriate discipline. Keep documenting everything, you may need it if you are terminated. If that happens you may have a discrimination case for your disability.

You don't need this stress at all. I hope you find something better and move on.

Rochelle

Sarah-

I agree 100% with Ry - check out the policies of that company re: grievances.

You may also want to think about your health benefits - remember, if you switch jobs, a new health insurance company may not want to pick you up.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Of course, we could load up the Keg Bus and pay that boss of yours a visit!!! :x:x:x

Hugs - Patti B.

Sarah

How awful for you. I would definitely check with ADA or other advocacy groups. I believe your boss has to accomodate your illness, perhaps with lighter responsibilities until you're feeling better or some such. I know mine had to do that years ago when I was pregnant. If no luck there, maybe you can appeal to your bosses' boss.

I have sadly come to the conclusion that I just can't do my job while fatigued out from the chemo and have decided to retire. Fortunately I am not the main bread-winner in our family, so while we'll have to watch our pennies for a while, we'll be okay. I'm almost 64 so the retirement is not too early.

Hope you get some satisfaction,

Linda

Thanks everyone

the place where I work is a hire at will fire at will. So she can let me go for no reason. I am going to try to stick it out and if push comes to shove I will let her fire me. With the price of gas and considering I have a 50 mile RT to work it might be okay. For awhile I really thought it was me, that I was messing up that bad, but the HR person just looked at me and said, you are not the problem, she is. No, they won't get rid of her, she kisses up to the big bosses good. I truly like where I work, I have met some extrarodinary people and they have taught me a great deal. I have met holocaust survivors and people that lived though the depression and such. they taught me how I want to age and given that chance I think I might be a pretty good old fart.

A quote from Sandy, I haven't gotten that part down just yet

She sure doesn't sound like a very nice person. I actually usually just feel sorry for people like that...honestly. They are obviously not very happy with their own lives and need to take it out on others.

Thanks Sandy, I think you have hit it on the head. I am going to start to love the day and let sour people go ahead and be sour. and I will say it again. You are the greatest bunch of people that I have had the honor of knowing.

Sarah

Today's Message of the Day is:

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

Sarah, I like your message for the day.

I worked for obnoxious people and really wanted to quit. But I let them fire me then applied for unemployment. I haven't done everything I need to do to get it but it made the employers upset....hee hee hee. I, too, say mean people have unhappy lives. What a way to live.

Best wishes for however you handle this.

Barb

I want to thank everyone again for all of their support and kind words. She fired me yesterday. I handled myself very well and told my friends there good bye. I have become a better person for everyone and everything that came my way. We have to take the good and bad together (LC folks know this one hands down). I will make the most of this oportunity and explore all of my options. Maybe I can find that job that is truly rewarding. I do believe she will regret her decision, there were a lot of things about my job that she didn't know how to do. She is not a PC person, she had trouble doing E-mail, and that is the bulk of my job. I did let a few of the residents know what happened, since they knew about my LC DX I didn't want them to worry. I have to figure out all of the tests and RX's I need or can get before my insurance is no longer good.

Sarah

Sarah, I was so sad to hear this last post. You sounded like things might be o.k. for you at work in the previous post. You sound good--positive and hopeful--and that's great. I just don't think people in our situations should have to deal with the kind of stress that you've experienced at the hands of a really hateful person. I've had ugly bosses but not while battling cancer. It's just not fair. I'm telling you, maybe you should listen to Ry and give them some grief through legal channels. I know that often we don't act in our own best interest because we don't know how to even start. Can anyone onsite advise Sarah how to start if she decides to go in that direction? I do agree though, if it caused you to live in a negative space, it wouldn't be worth it.

Hang in there, Judy in PA

I want to thank all of you. I have already applied for unemployment and I am asking around to what my other options are. My former boss is a airhead, pure and simple. I don't mind being taken to task for my accuracy as long as the letter doing it is accurate itself. The letter that she gave me was full of spelling errors and errors with the date. She gave me a separation letter that starts like this..In recognition of your termination??? She needs help with her e-mail and she can't find her way around a spreadsheet to save her soul. Her accounting skills could lead the most profitable company into chap 13 in a heartbeat. But, I will not dwell on what has passed by, I moved up my medical appointments so that they will still be covered and asking at the drugstore which of my RX's can be filled before October. Luckily I have coverage through my husband. My feeling has always been that everything happens for a reason and I know why this happened. I needed to be free of the comapny and her most of all. My health is the most important thing and all of the stress was not good for me.

Well, got to take the dogs out for a little P & P.

Have I mentioned before that you guys are the greatest and this site is the best there is.

Take care

Sarah