My Father Has SCLC. I could use some advice.

Guest ekim4got

Guest ekim4got

Hello,

I am a newcomer to this site and I must first tell you how overwhelmed I was as a I read through many of the posts. The courage, caring and determination evident in your messages is truly amazing. If anyone were searching for a hero, one would cartainly find hundreds of them here.

My Father is newly diagnosed with SCLC. He is 74 and in relatively good health otherwise. As nealy as the doctors can tell, his cancer is limited to his chest which I understand to be a good thing as it relates to his prognosis. Fortunately, he has access to very good care and he begins chemo next week which will be followed by radiation.

As is the case with many of his generation, my Dad doesn't like to ask for help or admit to needing assistance of any kind. Nevertheless, I know he would benefit from some sort of dialouge with people who are going through and have been through similar situations. He's a smart, insightful guy, he writes beautifully and enjoys communicating via email.

I would appreciate any advice from any of you as to how I might help get him connected with an individual or group. Obviously, getting involved with a group such as this would be great, I just need to figure out how to get things started. He's a tough nut to crack if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance and I wish all of you the best.

Mike

Hello,

Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. I am glad though that you have found this site. I think one way of doing it is to just let your Dad explore this site. A lot of the people here like myself were lurkers for a while until they decided to come out and share their experiences. This is not only such a warm, wonderful and supportive site but also is filled with a lot of information for your Dad to read and learn from and find comfort and inspiration in even if he decided to just lurk around.

Once again, welcome and rest assured that you, your Dad and your family will be included in my prayers.

Theresa

Hi Mike,

Welcome. although the circumstances could be better.

Invite your dad to read over your shoulder, get to know some of the people here and some of the stories they represent.

These folks are truly amazing, but the biggest factor is that this is an open community of caring, supportive friendly folk who are united in the face of the darned disease. Alone, we are isolated and vulnerable. Here, among others dealing with the same issues, we do not feel so alone.

That makes a world of difference.

A shoulder to lean on, a hand to hold, someone else to be concerned for besides onesself. Advice, information, sharing.

Welcome to your dad too.

God bless, my prayers are with you both.

MaryAnn

Mike:

Welcome! Like you, my dad was diagnosed w/SCLC on 10/3. I didn't know anything about lung cancer at the time, but through this website I have learned so much. There are so many caring, wonderful people here who can give you true information first-hand. My dad doesn't have access to email, but I funnel much info to him from this site. Maybe you can start out by relaying info to him and he'll be so curious, he'll want to start logging on. My dad's 4-round chemo cycle ends next week so I can help keep you advised of what my dad has gone through. He also did 16 radiation treatments which really helped his pain (he has mets to left shoulder). Prayers to you and your family!

Mike,

Welcome to one of the best places on the net to get the information you are looking for. There are so many caring, compassionate people here.

I have sclc also and really have been one of the lucky ones. I have been able to work all the way through 31 doses of radiation, 5 doses of chemo (spaced 3 days every 3rd week) and I just completed 15 rounds of PCI. So far so good! Last month my Onc. said I was stable and I see him again next week so I am praying that is STILL the case!

I will be praying for your Father and your family.

God Bless,

MO

Hello Mike;

Welcome and so very sorry to hear of your dad. It's such a devestating disease and know one should have to go through it alone. Please tell him to stop by and see us, the site will do the rest, ya can't help but get hooked. So much, caring, knowledge and friendship.

your dad will be in my prayers

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Mike,

I am sorry to hear that your Father is battling the Beast along with so many of us. Because he is intelligent, and well written, please point out to him that along with learning new things that will be of help to himself there is the opportunity for him to be of help to others who are walking the same road he walks... And this group is a very good place to start.

Best Wishes,

Fay A.

Guest ekim4got

Thanks for the responses. Some great ideas and strategies not to mention the warm words of encouragement. Fay, you're right, my Dad probably would offer support to others too and that might be just the right incentive for him to get involved. Again, thank you. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

mike

Mike,

Welcome to you and your dad; how wonderful that you are there as a support to him at this time. As someone else said, this diagnosis makes one feel very vulnerable. Hopefully we can look forward to caring and sharing with him before too long. In the meantime, you can be the link for him and for us. Take care and God bless.