Quitting

ejpritz

Hey everyone. I just joined today and so far really appreciate all the feedback. One main struggle I am having right now is trying to get my mother to quit cigarettes. She has made no effort and has not mentioned any desire to do so. I feel as thought this is extremely important right now, especially with a collapsed Lung just healing. Any advice on getting through to her that she muist do this? Anyone have a story of how they quit or convinced someone else to do so. I need her to see the importance of quitting

In my case I quit cold turkey upon diagnosis. There are days I would still like a cig., I won't lie, but I KNOW that treatment works better on people who are NOT smoking that on those who continue to smoke. I want to BEAT this disease so I choose not to smoke.

I will be praying for your Mom.

God Bless,

MO

Tell your mom " there is no fool like an old fool".

My dear friend could not stop smoking even while she was dying. She smoked up to her death.

It is really hard to stop. It took me many tries before I finally decided that was in 18 yrs ago. I ate lots of black licerise (not spelling correctly). it seemed to help with the desire for a cig.

Hello ej;

First welcome, but so very sorry to hear of your mom's diagnoses; and yes quitting smoking will help and is certainly the right thing to do but I must say is extremely difficult. :roll::roll: It was one of the most difficult things I ever did.

Please remember she has that added stress of being diagnosed with this monster. It brings with it fear, anguish and a feeling of hopelessnes. So just wanted to remind you to first give her hope of survival. It was the first thing that I needed to hear. That people really can and do SURVIVE this disease.

OK, with that said I've attached my story, my friends on American Cancer Society featued it last month.

http://www.acscsn.org/view/viewer?objec ... 1038964738

again welcome

God bless and your mom will be in my prayers

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

There are Oncologists that will NOT accept a person for treatment IF they continue to smoke. Their rationale/logic is they simply do not wish to fight the battle against the cancer alone, and/or fight a lack of cooperation or sabotage in addition to the cancer.

No addict will successfully break away/stay away from an addiction AGAINST their determined will.

I'm sorry your mother finds herself in this position. It might help her to check out http://www.quitnet.org, it is a community of people dedicated to quitting with numerous forums, lots of information, chat room, etc. She will find all the support she needs IF SHE DECIDES TO QUIT. If you can get her to consider it, and try to check out quitnet, that's a start.

Good luck, you're in our prayers.

MaryAnn

I'm sorry your mother finds herself in this position. It might help her to check out http:// www. "quitnet.org", it is a community of people dedicated to quitting with numerous forums, lots of information, chat room, etc. She will find all the support she needs IF SHE DECIDES TO QUIT. If you can get her to consider it, and try to check out quitnet, that's a start.

Good luck, you're in our prayers.

MaryAnn

• 2 weeks later...