Back Home...

Hi Everyone - Got both Glenn and my dog back home last weekend. Glenn is slow to recover, but he's making progress. He can't do a whole lot for himself, which is something new for us. Right now I'm really pushing him to take little walks during the day with me to increase his stamina. His breathing also isn't as good as it was before he got sick.

Onc is giving him another week to recover and our older son is in town. We are having a nice visit and I've been able to take a couple of weeks off.

I go back to work on Monday. Glenn says he can take care of himself but I'm worried. I'm going to pre-make his lunches and set up the bedroom and living room so it's easy for him to move around. I'm also going to have my neighbor check in when she can. Our middle son will be home at 4 every day and I'm going to try to come home early the first week.

Glenn still has chemo brain, so I will also make him a list for every day. Any other suggestions or advice on how to make it easier for him - or when to consider bringing someone in to help - would be greatly appreciated.

Kathleen

Kathleen,

I'm glad to hear than Glenn is making progress, even if it is slow. His strength will return, it will just take some time. In the meantime it sounds like you have a good plan to make sure he is taken care of. One thing more. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

Susan

Kathleen, I'm glad everyone's home but it sounds like a lot for one person to do and work outside the home as well. I'd say the time to bring in help is when you realize that you (or Glenn) need it. Don't think you are super woman. Like Susan said, "don't forget to take care of yourself."

Judy in Key West

Hi Kathleen. You are obviously a very organized woman. Sounds like you have a very good plan. I hope your husband starts to regain some of his strength. Only idea I can think of is to leave the phone close to where he is sitting. Mine rings off the hook and so I need it near by. And as others have said, don't forget to look after yourself.

Sandra

Hi Kathleen

Glad to hear that Glenn is home and recovering. It must feel so good to have him back home again.

Sandra had a great idea about the phone. The only other thing I can think of is to keep lots of snacks around in the bedroom and living room so he can munch away if he gets hungry but doesn't feel like having an actual lunch.

You said he still has chemo brain so maybe programming the phone with important numbers or leaving a list by the phone could help, especially the neighbors so that if something should happen he doesn't have to try to "remember" the numbers.

Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Kathleen,

Glad everyone is home. One thing that I did that drove my Mom crazy, was one day I would like a certain food or drink, the next day I couldn't stand the smell. One day I would be able to physically do stuff, like go to the store and then I would sleep for two days. I did not have study upward progress, mine was two steps forward one step back. So don't blame yourself if he doesn't make progress everyday.

Dana