New Member, Feeling Old

meegle

Hello,

My father was recently diagnosed with stage 3A Adenocarcinoma, inoperable. He turned eighty-four years old the same week he was diagnosed. Chemotherapy starts tomorrow and he will have another PET scan in four months. Two other family members have been through surgery and chemo successfully, for other types of cancers, but this feels a lot different. The scans also found an abdominal aortic aneurism, which complicates things. One of my father's major concerns is the effect that the chemo will have on his immune system. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, MaryE

Hi Mary

I'm very sorry to hear of your dad's recent diagnosis. When my father was diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma he was already at Stage IV and also inoperable.

My dad didn't do very well with any of the treatment plans that were offered to him and unfortunately only lived for 9 months from diagnosis but everyone reacts differently to these drugs and what doesn't work for one person can work absolute wonders for another.

Positive mental attitude is always a big plus with these things too. If your dad decides to tackle the beast head on and give it a good fight then, in my opinion, he will do much better with his treatment.

The immune system can take a knock during treatments and sometimes a blood transfusion is required to help keep everything ticking over but as I said it really depends on the patient and their response to treatment.

I am wishing your father all the luck in the world with his upcoming treatments!!

Hi,

Welcome! As Caren said it really just depends on the individual. Some people don't have a single problem with chemo and do great with great results. Others don't take to chemo so well.

Your doc's should fill you in on immune problems, I had to get blood tests every week to make sure my immune system stayed up. When it didn't I was supposed to stay home if it all possible, stay away from anybody sick, newly vaccinated childern and any fruits and vegetables had to be peeled and no lettuce. They gave me a whole list!

Oh yeah! Don't read any statistics! They will just scare you. They did me and they don't really help. cancer is strange you just can't tell how somebody is going to react to the chemo and how the cancer is going to respond. Stage 3 sounds bad, but people with Stage IV have lived with it for years. So don't give up!

Dana

Hi Mary-

Glad you found us. This is a great site with lots of good people with lots of wisdom.

Sorry about your dads diagnosis. Just to let you know, I am one of those people who never have had side effects from any of the chemos I have been on, so maybe your dad will be lucky like me. And, they have so many drugs now for nausea, etc.

Let us know how things go. Any question, please feel free to ask us - someone will know the answer for you. And - if you just need to vent - this is the place!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Welcome Mary,

I am sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis. What chemo is your father going to be taking? My 79 year-old mom finished a course of carbo-taxol-avastin in March with minimal side effects. She got a Neulasta shot the day after each of her chemo treatments to keep her white blood cell count up. Those are the cells that fight infection and she had no problems with her immune system. You should ask your dad's oncologist about the Neulasta.

Don't be shy about asking questions here. Folks here are happy to share what we have learned with folks like you who are new to this battle. If you have the time, I also suggest you read through our stories. There are a lot of long-time survivors' stories here that will show you there is HOPE!

Susan

Welcome Mary,

Glad you found us. I'm Stage IV seven years out since diagnoses, not curable/operable etc. Had few problems with chemo all things considered. As mention everyone is different reacts differently. Tell day to take it one day/one step at a time. We have members doing well regardless of age. Research as much as you can, knowledge is the key. Forget statistics many of us have far out lived our prognoses. Stay with us, ask questions and let us know how dad is doing.

Rich

Welcome Mary. I am sorry to hear of your dad's recent diagnosis.

My MIL had chemo last year at the age of 87 (they gave 1/2 strength chemo) and she did quite well throughout. She also had radiation which she found the more difficult of the two to handle. Everyone is different in how they react; however, the doctors should keep on top of whatever issues crop up for your dad.

I hope he is tolerating chemo okay - please keep us posted. I will be praying for good results.

Linda

Hi Mary. I am so sorry to read about your dear dad. You have found a good place though full of support and information. Yes treatments can have an affect on your immune system but there are lots of precautions that can be done to prevent that from happening. I am sending prayers for successful treatments for your dad.

Sandra