Cyberknife

Virg

Because I have had copd for years and the position of the tumor in my lung I am not candidate for regular surgery. Found am eligable for cyberknife surgery. Has anyone had that done? Sounds promising anyway. Thanks.

Cyberknife is so much easier than the way I had it! They must feel if would benefit you or they wouldnt suggest it.

Best wishes. Tell us how it went.

Donna G

I have not had it done but i recommend in addition to our others with personal experience that You may want to check out this link. Its really good info on the procedure!!!

http://www.orlive.com/search?&CRITERIA= ... LLECTIONS=

If you check out my signature, you will see that my sister had it done. Last June (2008), after a January attempt at surgery to remove her upper left lobe to get the tumor out. She is 3b but after weekly Carbo/Taxol and about 68 Gy of radiation, her mediastinal nodes were sterilized and her surgeon was willing to remove a lobe, though not the whole left lung. The tumor was, unfortunately, a bit in both lobes, so no removal. She started on Tarceva but then I took her to another hospital system where they had cyberknife, and we did that. Each scan since then has been better than the last and her April one showed no uptake at all in the tumor.

Not sure how to check signature. Sort of new at this but good to find somone with first hand knowledge of the procedure. Same story with location. Surgeon would not operate on me because of the location and condition of my lung (have had copd for years).

I hope you and sis are doing fine now.

Virg, altho I have no first-hand experience with the procedure, a friend had it years ago with no recurrence. She had lung cancer three times and says the event where she had cyberknife was the easiest. Also, maybe Maryanne of Maryanne and Joel will come in with their experience. Joel had successful cyberknife as well.

Keep us posted.

Judy in Key West

I did not have cyber knife, I had stereotactic radiation to the back of skull and a spot on my spine. I beileve the procedures are similar and that the main difference between the two is the actual machine that delivers the radiation itself. I had great luckwith it. The only side effect I encountered was a little nausea. The treatment took 2 days. The 1st day was pure planning and lining me up perfectly so I could get the radiation dose the following day. They spend alot of time making sure that they won't hit/damnage areas around where they were going to perform the procedure.

I felt great after the treatments and the cancer went into remission.,

Wendy

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the responses. I finished last of three treatments Sept 4. No side affects that I noted. Just backache from laying on that table so still for so long. What fun. NOT. lol They set appointment for me with cancer doctor on the 24th and due back for ct in Dec. to see it it worked. All in all feeling well.

• 3 weeks later...

Cancer doc went thru speel about how he normally does 16 chemo treatments in 16 weeks after normal surgery. And was leaving it to me. I asked him what he would do in my place. He said he would not want to go thru the added shortness of breath due to existing copd and weakened condition. Thanked him for his honesty and set ct for December. He feels like I will be here to do it. Does anyone else have copd and lung cancer story to share? And/or chem treatment after cyberknife.

Virg,

Before being dx'd with sclc I was dx'd with "mild" COPD. The doc had me on spiriva, then the cancer dx came. I had ULL followed by four rounds of chemo with a 3 week break between rounds. Chemo didn't seem to effect my breathing one way or the other. My ONC recently had me talk to a RAD ONC about PCI (brain radiation), he and I both came to the conclusion not to have it done, so I relate to your decision. We are all differant! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Dana

Thank you for response. Isn't it hard making that kind of decision. I guess I am to new at this to know what all the letters stand for or the other meds mentioned in others notes but looks like everyone is doing ok. I will know more for sure in Dec. See fam doc the 8th of next month. Maybe he can fill me in since everyone reporting to him.

Virg,

Up at the top of this section is a post called "commonly used acroynyms"

like, ONC=Oncologist.

The ones I used with RAD ONC=radiolgy oncologist

dx'd=diagnosed

sclc=small cell lung cancer

ULL-upper left lobectomey

I think we all set there at first going now what the heck does that mean? LOL (laughing out loud)!

Dana