Bryant Gumbel

SBeth

http://www.lungevity.org/l_community/vi ... 823#399823

It appears that he said it was a malignant tumor, according to the article I posted. I turned on the TV just as he was explaining about not being able to say how he was doing and that it would depend on what the tests showed if there were more things they would do. I quickly looked and this was posted moments after he said it on the show. So because I turned in a moment too late, I can't say for a fact that he used those words, but since this was posted literally moments later, I'm hoping they were using the words he did. But, can't vouch for that. Normally, I would have seen the whole interview, but silly work got in the way. :)

Though now I maybe see what you mean - could be a met on his lung from another type of cancer. But given how he was talking very optimistically about hoping that nothing more would need to be done, I'm doubting it was a met of anything. But that was just my impression from the end of the interview, and who knows I guess.

OK - more details at CNN. Sounds like he's saying in 'basic-speak' that some nodes were involved. http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/0 ... index.html

It sounds like LC to me. He had cancer, it was inside his chest, they took out the tumor and part of his lung, there were some aggressive cells that had escaped from the tumor (i.e., some positive nodes?)

He's obviously gotten the pathology report back. If it was something other than LC, he'd say I think. What is it, some other mystery kind of cancer living in his lung?

It seems he can't just come out and say he has "lung cancer" because of the negative connotation. Just a crazy, mixed up world.

Barb

He has a huge opportunity to advance this cause. Sadly, he also stated he was going to keep it a secret. The Stigm acontinues as he clearly doesnt like the association and probably feels some unwarranted "shame". I wish I knew a way for this group to contact him, as he needs education about the disease, hope regarding long term survivors here, and options for treatment that extend beyond " standard of care"

Well it apparently is NOT lung cancer. On Regis and Kelly, Kelly read something this morning to clarify and said something like they had to remove a bit of his lung to remove the tumor but it was not lung cancer.

So I give up trying to figure it all out. I feel like I'v spent more time thinking about Bryant Gumbel's cancer in the last 24 hrs than I have thinking of my sisters. :)

I also did not hear him say that he was keeping it a secret, just that as it was going on, he was private about it and only wanted his family to know. I can't fault a guy for that. If he wanted to keep it a secret he could have given Kelly a different excuse for not dancing, or asked her to not talk about it on the air.

If you read the article, he states that some of the cancer cells got away so he had adjuvant chemo. That is the clue that it is lung cancer. If they had to take a portion of his lung whether or not the tumor itself was inside the lung or outside is immaterial and Gumble also stated that they took some "other goodies" along with the lung....ie.lymph nodes....It is lung cancer. The person to make the statement about the tumor being outside the lung was the ceo of a large PR firm that is a friend of Gumble's...He was also very quick to add that Gumble was a non-smoker.

Here are some other articles the plainly state Lung cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/0 ... ml?eref=ew

http://cbs11tv.com/entertainment/bryant ... 57063.html

(channel 11 Dallas)

http://cbs11tv.com/entertainment/bryant ... 57063.html

(cbs 2-chicago)

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/arti ... umbel.html

All of theses specify that it is lung cancer. It is certainly a shame that that instead of using this as away to teach and bring awareness, they were in a big hurry to make sure his image was pure and not hampered by something as politically incorrect as smoking.

Dawn

Actually it is probably the large food corporations that also own the tobacco companies, or is it the other way around? They are big customers on the TV advertising and they don't want to raise awareness to LC since everyone closely associates it with smoking.

Funny how they are so quick to say he is a non-smoker.....just to cover their bases.

I wish he'd take off his shirt and show everyone what his new body image is after a thorcotomy.

Barb

And don't forget Paul Newman..he also died of lung cancer although noone would come out and say it out loud.

They were too worried about the stigma attached to lung cancer and smoking....And that all started with the Federal Government and C. Everett Koop's (surgeon general) fight with the tobacco industry.

The only way we are ever going to get rid of that stigma is to stop playing into it. By that I mean, stop telling people whether you did or did not smoke. Stop listing it in your bios. Start by telling people the things that we all have in common that can cause cancer such as radon, asbestos, man-made chemicals in everything we eat, and drink and even wear that can be absorbed through the skin, exhaust from burning or burned petro-chemicals, chemical pollutants in the air, land and water. Even the stress of our daily lives can cause cancer.

Lung Cancer is not about smoking or not. It is about the very atmosphere that we live in.

Sorry, coming down off my soapbox, now. You are also right Katie when you say "shame on the ACS as they are just furthering the stigma and the myth that only smokers get Lung Cancer as many of the members of the community right here can attest to.

Shame we don't know any reporters..

Dawn

I think Dawn makes a great point. Instead of making it known whether or not any of you have smoked, we need to rather focus on the bigger picture which is finding a cure for this disease. One amazing aspect of LUNGevity's mission is provide emotional support for lung cancer survivors and their loved ones by creating community. Let me just say that all of you are testament to this. I am inspired by all of your posts, and know that if my late grandmother were still alive, she would be as well.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance or support.

Anthony Galante

agalante@lungevity.org

312-464-0716

LUNGevity Foundation

While we are on the ignorance topic. Have you guys seen the pink glove dance on Youtube.com?

I made this short post to try to counter the ignorance, but nobody watches my video. :):)

Here it is. This is just mortality data for women with breast cancer vs women with lung cancer. But it was interesting to look at. My audio is out of sync because I just have cheap equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DJZ087lpHM

Barb

PS. Talk about glamorizing lung cancer, did you see that Torino movie by Clint?

"Outrider1"]The only way we are ever going to get rid of that stigma is to stop playing into it. By that I mean, stop telling people whether you did or did not smoke. Stop listing it in your bios.

I've come to agree with that. Some time ago, I changed my signature from mentioning my former cigar smoking to just "Long distance cyclist and lung cancer survivor".

And I noticed the same thing that Katie did: almost all comments after each article were about smoking. Making headway against that stigma is definitely an upstream swim.

I have often thought of just plain lying when people ask "were you a smoker or did you ever smoke?" but I am a very poor liar - one of those people whose face turns red and stutters and can't get a whole sentence out. I need to have something all ready to go when someone asks. Does anyone have any suggestions for just exactly what we can say when this question comes up? As it is, I've been saying "yes, I did, but lots of people get lung cancer who haven't ever smoked". But I can tell by the look on their face that the minute I say I smoked, they don't really hear anything else since that's what they expected to hear.

Diane

I spew the stats about smokers and non-smokers alike when I get the chance. Why does my sig line note that I am a never smoker? Because I do think there is a difference and that the differences need to be researched. At this point, I am still wondering if surgery, chemo, and radiation were ever likely to be a cure. That was a lot of treatment that didn't make this go away. I know I can grow resistant to Tarceva, but to think I might have been treated with it as a first line based on my history and skip that route?! What else might be discovered with enough investigation?

What I have found when sharing the stats and info on LC with folks is rolling of the eyes ~ like ~ yea right, smoking is not the culprit (sarcastic stone of voice.) Even my 'friends' do it. All I can reiterate is this ~ why do people get lung cancer? Because people have lungs. I also share the 20+ folks I personally know of who were never smokers and lost the fight. Why did they get LC? Because they had lungs ~ that's why. Grrrrrr :twisted:

Kasey

A friend of mine who's a heavy smoker had cervical cancer a few years ago.

While on the phone with her one day I heard her inhale, so I asked her if she had ever been asked about her sexual history because of her cervical cancer (Well I didn't exactly word it that way :shock: ). With a very puzzled voice she answered no. My reply to that was if she ever got lung cancer she was sure to be asked if she smoked!

I've never been asked why I had breast cancer but the smoking issue comes up every time.

My husband has never been questioned about his prostate cancer, but he's been asked if I smoked!

One answer I wish I could say more often - I usually chicken out of being as rude as them - is that if you don't know me well to already know you don't know me well enough to ask!

On that note I will get off my soap box and get on with my smoke free existance :lol::lol:

Geri

I have exactly the same experiences as Kasey. I think it is so ingrained in people that lung cancer = smoking, that it is going to be a very long road to changing peoples' outlook. I was giving an old friend my usual speach with all the statistics about the increase in LC of never smokers, and she told me she was well aware of that, that she knew of two people who had never smoked but had LC -- but from the way she said it, I could tell she still believes that it is a smokers disease and the never smokers are just a "fluke". I guess there is not much we can do but to keep chipping away at it.