Bill Will Be Coming Home

Barb73

Hello Everyone,

We have been home since Tuesday. Our brother-in-law, also a Bill, took him home in an SUV.

There was some difficulty in that Bill's legs are no longer strong.

When he first entered the facility, he was able to walk with a walker (w/wheels). But, now as the days have progressed, his ability to stand with straightened legs has disappeared.

What I am able to do is move him from the bed to the wheelchair, and from the wheelchair to the bed. If assisted, I can get him into his favorite lounge chair (one that does all kinds of ups, downs, and in betweens).

He developed a butt sore in the hospital, and two heel sores in the facility. So, my attention to that has to do with healing and ridding him of those.

His appetite is wonderful, and his demeanor is quite good. He is not in any pain, except if someone or he accidentally touches or moves the right arm.

They have arranged (Medicare) to give us the bed, but there was a $300 fee for the electronics of it. The bed was, all by itself, afforded by Medicare. The electronic part's charge is for the care giver's comfort, so ..... not picked up.

The commode, I purchased myself and it's very nice. It has adjustable legs and we've raised them six inches to accommodate Bill's 6-foot stature.

All-in-all, this has been a different scenario than the one prior to the hospital and rehab stays. Now, we are looking at therapies - occupational and physical - to facilitate movement between bed, commode, chair, and wheelchair.

I will update as we go along. Right now, Joe has arrived up from Florida, and today is arranging to have a new muffler put on my car. My sister said that when she followed me home from the rehab, it sounded very noisy.

I thank you for all of your support. I think of you often, despite my not being online as much. If I find good news in the cancer area I will post it. My email is still something I watch most every morning.

Love you all,

Barbara

Barb, Home is where the heart is and the heart is at home!!! hang in there and keep us posted if ya need us! But take care of bill first!!!! :wink:

Prayers thoughts and Hugs always!!!!

Barb, I was just checking in and I'm glad to hear that Bill is home. It's good that he has a good appetite because that will really help him to regain his leg strength. My mom lost quite a bit of strength after her last lung surgery and 3 week stay in the hospital, due to infection. She had to come home by ambulance and it took quite a while, with my sister assisting her, for her to gain back her strength, but slowly it did come back. The therapy should help to strenghen him. Know that the two of you and your family remain in my prayers.

Hugs,

Sue

Barb,

You are Bill's best therapy. Eating your cooking and having you too look out for him has to be wonderful. I hope you have help when you need it. it sounds like you have some family to help out. I wish I was nearby so I could drop by with a pot of soup or to offer to stay with Bill while you go to movie or just have a little time to breathe. You and Bill are both so precious to this community.

Susan

This has been indeed a five-year journey. What a ride. We cannot say tht it has been not worthy of the ticket. : )

We will do this. Sometimes, it seems very difficult, but we have seen members of our family coming closer and more loving.

Can that be a bad thing? NO

However long this may be, or whether or not it will tax us overly, we will not know. What we do know is that, as humans, we do have to face certain facts.

Bill and I are facing them head on.

Barbara

Barbara, it does my heart good everytime I see a post from you with that picture of you lovingly looking at KayMarie. You sound sad and I can only imagine how hard this is for you. You and Bill have been fighting this demon for so long. I hope Bill's day's are pain-free and dotted with comforting connections with you and your family. Come here and partake of whatever support and strength we can offer.

Judy in Key West

Barbara - You and Bill are such an inspiration, and I am keeping you both in my prayers. I love the picture of you with your new great-granddaughter, and what a beautiful name. I have a new grandson due on this week, and am excited to still be here to greet him.

God bless,

Diane