Tuesday's Air

jaminkw

Morning All! Hard to be my chipper self today. Second day of rain all day in KW. Unusual for us and Dom is here to go fishing. He's only here for a few days and it looks like a big disappointment for him and his grandfather. Meanwhile, what to do? We're a sunshine activities kind of place lol.

Trying to get something done towards trip prep every day but am sleeping in way to much. After eight this morning. Well it's after nine now so I'm off to it.

Have a great day everyone.

Judy in KW

Aw Judy, hope the sun comes out so Dom can fish! It is so humid here that my windows are covered in moisture and it's completely foggy here. Supposed to be murderously humid all week. I'm ready for Fall now. This has been a great summer, but ready for crisp nights, and Fall colors.

Ah, slept in until 9:00. It was nice. Hubs treated me so nice for my birthday last nigt. He prepared steamed Alaskan King Crab, with a loaf of Italian bread with spiced oils, and some fresh garden vegetables. It was all so good we forgot about the rice we prepared. That got thrown out. We had a delicious white wine with the meal. It was amazing.

Then he brought this beautifully wrapped gift, which was some pretty blouses and a pair of slacks. Very nice. We usually don't give gifts on birthdays, so this was a nice surprise. I think I haven't bought new clothes in so long that he felt he had to do something to put something new in the closet! LOL!

I'm heading out to do a couple hours of volunteer work. It's slow this week as two of the pastors are on vacation, and when they are away, it gets real slow which is kind of nice. It will give me an opportunity to catch up on my reading.

I'm reading Heaven by Randy Alcorn. It is so good! I can't wait to read more. Then I downloaded a book called Drive by David Pink on motivation for people. I manage a large group of volunteers, so I thought getting some tips on positive motivation would be a good thing. Got to keep those volunteers happy so they keep coming back!

I hope you all have a blessed day.

Judy in MI

P.S. Does anyone know where Eric has been? I had a couple busy days and maybe missed a Hall Pass? Just missing his usual interesting musings.

Good morning, everyone!

It was 76 degrees as I rode to work this morning. Forecast high is 102.

Bruce, I know what you mean. Even in this, the most greedy of all countries, some of us do reach a point where the appeal of living simply and spending our time doing things we enjoy becomes greater than the desire to keep acquiring more "stuff", and I have definitely reached that point.

I expect that cancer probably hurried me along the way some, and besides the physical wear and tear this job puts on the body, the stresses are bound to eventually take a toll, as well. I'm thinking that retirement would be good for me.

Eric, your problem of not knowing what to do with yourself in retirement is very common. So many people who retire end up going back to some kind of work because of it. But, I expect my problem will always be the opposite. I can't find enough time to do everything I'd like to do. I loved the month off work I had after surgery, even though I was restricted with what I could do.

I hope you get some sunshine, KW Judy. Have a great day, all!

Bud I think I fit somewhere in between you and Eric. I never take time off work to just sit around and relax because I get bored too easily. Only so much you can do in a city even though we have great fishing, hunting, etc. But living on a farm I don't see boredom being a problem. Alway's lot's to do and I will still have to work. But on the weekend's and evening's I'll be kept busy because I plan to get a couple horses, hen's etc. I also put a workshop in my basement because I enjoy wood working.

funny... now I sit at a desk making good money and I'm looking forward to working my butt off and making alot less money. LOL

Wow, everybody is so poetic and philosophical today! First on my agenda is another CT scan (last one was in May). I should have some idea what's going on when I get home and look at the CD, and that should help me make one personal decision: Does it look like I'll be driving long enough to justify shopping for a car to replace my 95 Subaru which after 15 reliable years has gone belly up? Lani is starting to get rather protective of her 2009 Hyundai...

Ned

No philosophy here, I just helped my boy register for his college classes, courtesy of Visa - it's everywhere that you want to be. Tuesday's air is in my wallet, and the large sucking vortex where my savings account used to be. This is my punishment for getting my taxes done late and not having the information for Financial Aid. Next semester, he should be golden AND on his own for financing.

Time to work out a long-term plan with education and employment. I'm going to have to get back on the school bandwagon myself, only need a few credits and still out of work so the State may pick up tuition. Just need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

My boy is looking at law enforcement, so I guess Mafia king pin is out, conflict of interest and all. :wink:

Another hot and humid day in paradise. Glad the A/C is on...

Wow guys - ain't it the truth, re: enjoyment versus stuff? Never was a big "stuff" type.

So dilemma - I am shopping for a refi. How funny is that? It would be great to lower my interest rate and monthly mortgage cost, but how do you decide if it is worth it? If it takes a year or two to pay for the cost of the refi? Not too concerned about extending the length of the loan back to 30 years.

When I bought this place, almost 4 years ago, it made me sad cause I increased my base cost and the length of the loan - I had paid on that one for 14 years and paid principal ahead so could have it almost paid off by now. But I guess it really does not matter. No kids relying on the inheritance after all.

Looks like we might have a bit of blue sky today. The cats have mostly stayed inside for days. At least I did not have to water. Picked blackberries in the backyard (they grow over the fence from next door.)

Everything crossed for you Ned. Except my eyes and attitude.

Judy in MI - Happy Belated birthday! Sounds like you had a wonderful time (spasm free too?) PS - mine is tomorrow, but the party is on Saturday.

Good Evening Everyone,

Just finished writing this ,clicked submit goodness knows what happened next,there it was gone for good.

Doing a Judy I think we call it?.Anyway here we go again,you know its hard trying to remember the rubbish I dream up.Ah Judy,well a wee drop of rain is a bit disapointing? well try Scotland,my toes are webbed and I am starting to grow feathers,did you not know fish bite more when its raining? As Billy Connelly once said there is nothing wrong with weather its just us wearing the wrong clothes.I have on many occassions continued to play golf when its coming down cats and dogs whilst everyone else has run for cover only me and my buddy Cesare left on the couse,well if youve paid £50 for a game youve got to get your monies worth,havent you?I did shout to those who took cover "Wimps" fortunately for me they were so far away they couldnt hear me,as they were all much bigger than me.

Judy MI,i was in Costco recently and I seen on display a these Alaskan King Crab thingies,gosh what long legs they have got,never tried them though too scared of making a fool of myself trying to break their shells and showering my table guests with crab meat,but you have raised my curiousity though enough to try the crab,maybe issuing my guests with raincoats or umbrellas would be advisable?.

Thanks Bud and Bruce for your thoughts on retirement,I think I was so much into my work I forgot to cultivate outside interests,and I knew when I was off work for six months the college didnt grind to a standstill,life went on,so I am going to give a bit less to my work and more on developing some new outside interests.

I Ned,just reading your thoughts on replacing your car,remember my black shoes?well I just bought another pair,and you know about Scots spending money,so I going to stay around to get good wearing out of them,my advice as yours to me, go and get a new car,well it dosnt have to be new though does it?

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone.

Hi Stephanie,

Just wanted to wish you a very special Happy Birthday tomorrow,have a really good time on Saturday celebrations Ill drop by if I can make it.Dont really understand your morgage story,my morgage finishes this October,years ago I was talked into taking out one of these endownment type mogages by my building society,basically you only pay back the interest on the loan,while the remainder of your cash in invested,the returns after 25 years to paid off the capital and banked the surplus ,so it went in theory well I will have a shortfall of approx £10,000 in October,so just carry on paying now as a repayment type morgage,why do I always listen to "money experts"?

Comparing today's scan with the one in May, I really don't see any appreciable differences. If anything, I could talk myself into thinking some of the nodules are slightly smaller or less distinct than before, and I didn't notice anything that looked worse, but then I was only looking at the lungs and don't have a clue about the adrenals, liver, etc. So I'll wait for the report next Tuesday before making any car decisions! :)

Ned

Hi Ned,

Wishing you all the best with your results,you know I have this overwhelming feeling,you will be spending some time shortly in the car showrooms. God Bless.

Good luck with the CT Ned, I had a PET/CT last week and I'll get the results next week. I'm very confident at this point because my doc usually calls me if there is bad news. I've decided to live like I'll be around long enough to grow some new lungs, maybe a million years or so. I RSVPed to my high school reunion planners for my 40th next summer, even going to try to get involved in the planning. Today I renewed my drivers license for 5 more years and I hate to waste anything, must be the Scots in me. Also did go out and buy my new vehicle a few months ago, love it but I still love my Subaru too Ned. Main reason for buying something new is that Mary can't drive a stick so the truck is four wheel drive and automatic, but my Subaru is definitely the best vehicle I've ever driven in snow.. Way way good on slick streets. Happy birthday tomorrow Stephanie, mine is on Thursday seems I know alot of people who's parents enjoyed their Christmas. LOL

Well happy happy everyone, see ya soon.

Donny