Worried--UPDATE--I was right to be worried

fillise

Mom has been doing so well on the Tarceva, but I am wondering if it has stopped working for her. Over the past few weeks she has complained of fatigue and loss of appetite. Her oncologist thinks this is due to low magensium and has her on a supplement, but after a week it doesn't seem to be improving. She had a bone scan today for pain in her shoulder blades. After she got home they called her to come back and they took x-rays of all the areas they scanned. That has me very worried. I was already concerned when the last scan showed small progression in the primary tumor and now she seeme to be getting weaker. She is also starting to cough again. She saw her oncologist last week and he ordered the bone scan. I just don't have a good feeling about this. . .

Susan

Mom called and got the results of her bone scan yesterday and the news is not good. The cancer has spread to her thighs and to her right ribs. She goes in for a Zometa infusion today and will talk to the doctor about the next step. I imagine she will be headed back to the radiologist assuming she hasn't reached her limit. It's been two years since she had any radiation so maybe she can do some more. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper today.

Susan

Susan,

I am so sorry she has to go through this. Bone mets can be very painful. I'm sure you will advocate for her to make sure she has the proper pain medication.

If you've never dealt with these before, they are amazing in helping with pain. Duragesic pain patches can help immensely and deliver a constant pain relief system rather than taking an oral pill or morphine drops. My Mom's bone mets were painful, and we found a combination of the patches along with some liquid morphine to be very effective. And she was not all groggy from it, we found the right combination, and it worked well for her.

I hope and pray they can find a therapy to help her with this.

Judy in MI

Judy--thanks for the info on the pain patches. Mom does not like the groggy feeling from pain pills so this might be something she can tolerate (and actually use). Right now the issue isn't pain as much as it is fatigue and weakness. When I was up there Labor Day weekend it was as if I saw her growing visible weaker over the 4 days I was there.

Katie--Thanks, but there is no need to apologize. You were right where you needed to me.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and good wishes. I will let you know what happens next.

Susan

Susan, so sorry to read your update on your mom. I like everyone else, was praying for something positive.

I agree about the patches, when they get the right combination it will work wonders on pain.

Meanwhile, I will keep your mom in my prayers and pray for her pain to subside and hopefully she will be able to get radiation treatments again. If not at least she has Chemo available.

Everything crossed for her. Hang in there I know how scared you must me.

Maryanne

Thanks everyone. It is so comforting to come here where people really understand.

I talked with my father last night while my mom was at a book club meeting (so she still feels up to doing some things). He told me that she thinks she is dying. She tries to be cheerful when I call, but I can tell she is somewhat depressed. I wish I could be there to go to the doctor with her on Friday. I do send her questions and information I find here and through GRACE to take to her oncologist.

Thanks for listening. It's great to have someone who understands.

Susan

Susan, I can't believe I missed your earlier post while I've been away playing. You must be devastated. I am for you, your Mom, Dad and all your family. I just keep thinking about what a warrior your Mom has been. And someone on here (Katie?) said bone mets can be treated as a chronic disease. Give Mom a little time to be "down." I have a feeling as soon as they offer her even a little hope, she'll bounce back.

My heart is with you.

Judy in KW