Dad starting dialysis- need support

Dear Friends,

Haven't written in a while. My 59 year old Dad is being treated for a rare cancer called Ewing's Sarcoma that began in his lung. We thought it was NSCLC IIIB at first, but it is this Ewing's. The tumor is large and wreaking all sorts of havoc on my Dad's body. He has only been able to have 1 treatment thus far b/c it started shutting down his systems. We were trying to help him rebuild strength when his kidneys decided to shut down. So, after trying various IV therapies, we are now beginning dialysis tomorrow.

There have been so many setbacks on our treatment journey and my Dad is so sick. He needs something positive to happen so that he believes that there is hope. We are all starting to fear the worst. This is hard for me to type because we have been so positive- but, he just seems to be getting sicker. I hate all of this and just needed a place to vent. I do not want to see my Dad continue to suffer, but I cannot imagine a world without my Dad in it. Thanks so much for listening.

Kristin

Kristen,

I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties and setbacks your dad is experiencing.

The dialysis should help him feel better and get stronger so they can help him fight this cancer. Hopefully this is a temporary setback.

I am sending big hugs and lots of positive thoughts your way.

Sue

Very sad to write that my Dad only made it through one round of dialysis and passed away early this morning. He was only 59 years old and had battled for 3 months. We are all completely shocked and are just wandering from room to room crying with one another. His poor heart was just not strong enough to handle everything and they couldn't get it to start again. Thanks for the support. Kristin

Kristin, my sincere condolences to you and your family. I can imagine the shock of losing him just when a new approach was offering a glimmer of hope that he would get strong enough for treatment of the cancer. I am so sorry and know the days and months ahead will be difficult. There are many here who have been thru it so come post whenever you need to.

Judy in KW

Dear Kristen:

Please accept my condolences. It must seem like a nightmare from which you are praying to awaken. I wish you and your family strength, and the support of good friends and other family to carry you through this time of intense grief.

Jane

Kirsten,

I did read your posting of Oct 31st,and was most upset at your situation.I did so wish to reply immeadiately,but found words of support and comfort difficult to compose.It really did come as a shock to me to find only a couple of days later of your dads passing.Please accept my sincere sympathy for your loss.God Bless.