Ned - Lani Updated Last Night

Annette

I think about all of you every day, but it seems that I am always rushing and time goes so quickly. I spend eight hours at the hospital with Ned. Fortunately his daughters are still here and come by in the evening to help with his last meal of the day. There are times that Ned speaks and responds but, depending on the time of day, the PT and OT techs might not see it. Their evaluations, of course, determine whether he continues with the therapies.

This week will be a real test for Ned. We are all praying that he will be able to show the therapists that, with their help, improvement is possible. The "bulked out" male PTs mention that they find him quite heavy. I have already come to the same conclusion.

Thank you for all the encouragement, support, and well wishes. It means a lot to Ned and to me.

Aloha, Lani

Thanks so much for posting Annette. I am not surprised that there are times Ned still talks and responds. I knew we couldn't count him out too easily. Here's hoping the staff listens to his family and gives credibility to their observations. How frustrating that must be!

Judy in KW

saying more prayers! It sounds like if he is "heavy" then there may not be any cachexia and thats a great thing!! Hope and Pray I am right!

cachexia is a wasting syndrome - loss of weight, fatigue, muscle atrophy etc in someone not actively trying to do those things (not anorexia).

I'm not sure what they mean by heavy - I'd think that he is relaxed and not pulling his own weight, but that does not sound like Ned. Maybe just that he weighs something appropriate for his size?

Best to Ned and Lani. Light and laughter for your days.

cachexia is scary things! rapid weight loss due to loss of muscle mass. Got familiar with it researching about 3 years ago for someone here! nasty thing it is!