8 years!

chloesmom

Yesterday, June 20, marked the 8 year anniversary of my lung cancer surgery. It's interesting to me that I didn't even think about it yesterday until last night at about 7pm. when the Cubs/Sox game came on TV. I remembered that I was trying to watch the Cubs/Sox series that weekend I spent in the hospital.

Normally I attach a real significance to dates and anniversaries so I'm kind of surprised at myself and wonder why this didn't loom large as it usually does. I do have some upheaval in my life right now-my mom is really sick and having a miserable recovery from a huge surgery, only to have another major surgery in September that holds a lot of uncertainty, and I've recently started a new, fantastic part-time job. But still-that lung surgery day has always been a big day of rememberence for me.

I hope this means I'm having emotional recovery (finally!)-it's about time, wouldn't you think?

I've already had my surgeon's appointment and chest xray a few weeks ago and everything was fine. Usually I get very upset in the time preceding my appointment, but actually the night before I went for my appointment was my mom's emergency surgery and I only got about two hours of sleep prior to going into the doctor's office-that will really take your mind off your troubles, but I don't recommend it!

So, of course I am truly happy for the good fortune I've had being a survivor and wishing my story was more commonplace than it is among those who get lung cancer. Hopefully, that's changing.....

Cindy

• 3 weeks later...
Yesterday, June 20, marked the 8 year anniversary of my lung cancer surgery. It's interesting to me that I didn't even think about it yesterday until last night at about 7pm. when the Cubs/Sox game came on TV. I remembered that I was trying to watch the Cubs/Sox series that weekend I spent in the hospital.

Normally I attach a real significance to dates and anniversaries so I'm kind of surprised at myself and wonder why this didn't loom large as it usually does. I do have some upheaval in my life right now-my mom is really sick and having a miserable recovery from a huge surgery, only to have another major surgery in September that holds a lot of uncertainty, and I've recently started a new, fantastic part-time job. But still-that lung surgery day has always been a big day of remembrance for me.

I hope this means I'm having emotional recovery (finally!)-it's about time, wouldn't you think?

I've already had my surgeon's appointment and chest xray a few weeks ago and everything was fine. Usually I get very upset in the time preceding my appointment, but actually the night before I went for my appointment was my mom's emergency surgery and I only got about two hours of sleep prior to going into the doctor's office-that will really take your mind off your troubles, but I don't recommend it!

So, of course I am truly happy for the good fortune I've had being a survivor and wishing my story was more commonplace than it is among those who get lung cancer. Hopefully, that's changing.....

Cindy

Congrats on 8 years. I am glad to hear that you have emotionally recovered. However, I also think it is good to remember the experience and grow as much as you can from it which I'm sure you have. My Dad was diagnosed and I saw him courageously battle every day. He had an oxygen concentrator and the whole 9 yards. He didn't make it in the end and some of these memories are painful but I learned some tremendous life lessons from his journey. Congrats on 8 years. You are truly a survivor!