Scared

Pinky

Hi, I am new here. Here is my story..or my dad's should I say.

My dad was having chest pressure, he thought was indigestion, until it kept him up a couple nights in a row. He finally went to the docs, took an x-ray, and his doc said he was fine and sent him home with an Advil script. A little later, his doc called and said that they found something that looked suspicious. He went and had a CAT scan of his lungs and pelvic area on Friday. (They did the pelvic region because he had kidney cancer some years ago.) His doc called him today while I was at work and wanted him to come in today to discuss the CAT scan. Turns out he has tumors between his lungs. They can't operate, for some reason. He is going on Thursday for his consult with a thoracic surgeon and to schedule for his biopsy. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worried that it will be cancerous. His mother died from lung cancer about 6 years ago. My dad doesn't smoke though. They told him when he had his kidney cancer that because he had kidney cancer he may get lung cancer. I was reading some about lung cancer online, and it won't look good if he has it. Not good at all. But...His symptoms were a little different from the ones I read. Nothing I read said anything about pressure in the chest. Only pain, which he didn't have he said. He had a cough before that, but when he finally went to the doc for that, it got better, I thinkkkk...And the only other thing that he MIGHT have had was tiredness...But he is getting older, 54-years-old. Before when he would go outside and rake, he would be fine, but in the past year, whenever he did that, or any other yard work, he sometimes couldn't finish it because he was tired. But other than that, his symptoms don't match. Never had blood in his phlegm, no breathing difficulties, etc.

Does anyone have a story similar to mine? If so how are things going?

I'm very scared and don't want to lose him... :cry:

Please help!!

Pinky

Hi Pinky,

First of all welcome to this board, I know within hours some of the most wonderful people I've ever come to know will all extend their knowledge and well wishes to you and your dad!

I know it's so hard to even think of your dad being sick, there is just something about being daddy's little girl that makes him invincible, he's better than Superman!

Now is your turn to take care of your dad. Gather as much information as you can and whatever happens - DON'T be afraid to ask the doctors TONS of questions.

My dad's only symptoms were that he was getting tired and run down, but please don't give up hope, we don't even know for sure if it is cancerous, right?

So hang in there and come back often - we are all here to help you get through this!!

And I will pray for you and your dad...

I am so sorry that your Dad is ill Pinky. I know you must be terrified right now. One thing I can tell you is, don't jump ahead in your mind. Try to calm yourself, think positive and wait until you and your Dad meet with the oncologist. I know it is easy to say, however things may not be as bad as you imagine.

Do you have family to share this burden with, I hope so?

Let us know how things go with your Dad and until then my prayers go out to you both. Paddy.

Pinky,

I am so sorry you had to seek us out ... but VERY glad you found us.

First off let me say it is WAY TOO EARLY to start talking about "loosing" your Dad. No matter WHAT the docs finaly come up with there are folks right here on this message board who have survived it. So let's drop the "loosing" idea for now, ok?

Hang in there. Once you know what you are dealing with there WILL be options and treatments.

Dean

Pinky,

This is a difficult time, but try to stay positive. Once you and your family know something for sure there will be the need to stay focused on getting the best medical team possible and don't hesitate to get second opinions. You will never be alone in this...we all will be pulling with you. For now, let's hope it isn't as drastic as it may appear to you.

Peace and blessings,

Margaret

Thanks everyone. I never thought I would find myself on one of these boards. I myself just got diagnosed with IBD about a year ago and am still getting used to that. And I thought that was bad enough, me visiting my IBD board. Now this one. I just feel panicked at times, but others I am calm for some reason. I will calm myself down, by reading your posts, etc, and then all of a sudden I will get this panicked feeling. It seems like it is going to take forever to see if it is cancerous or not because Thursday he meets with the thoracic surgeon JUST for consultation. Then he has to go in again for the actual biopsy. Then we have to wait God knows how long for the results.

I need to get to bed...but thanks for all the replies....I will drop the "loosing" business right away!! No problems with that one. I was/am jumping to conclusions because of the statistics I read on a few sites tonight. They weren't good.

Ok, goodnight everyone and take care.

Thanks again.

Pinky

Pinky, I would also like to welcome you to the board-I have found such solice here...the information and support are invaluable!

Its so funny, yesterday I was reading this new book I bought and read something that really put the whole 'statistics' thing in perspective, you will find as you get to know us that we are NOT FANS of statistics...

Anyway I was reading and the writer Daniel A. Sugarman phd said "...statistics describe a group not an individual!"

I thought this quote pretty much summed up my feelings on statistics. Now, try to take a breather, and not to jump ahead of things. In time, you will know what it is your dad is going to be dealing with, and you will handle things accordingly. In the meantime, we are here, and we'll be awating your posts. Take care, Deb

Pinky, don't jump the gun yet! Try to think positive. Until they do a biospy think benign. I know how hard it is to stay positive from the past and with you being sick. I am not sure what IBF is but am sure your worrying isn't going to make it better. We are here and let us know the results of the biospy. Nothing in life that you cannot control goes fast.....its all a waiting game......

Pinky,

I know of a 54 y/o man that takes naps in the afternoon on weekends - but works full-time, is a home owner (and all THAT entails), and is married to a 35 y/o to boot! Although he takes naps (like the old dawg he is), he still has "it". He's slowing down a little and I can finally keep up!

Don't write your dad off as "old" - it's a state of mind! I've found in my own life that things that USED to be important have taken a back burner. I no longer scrub my baseboards with a toothbrush, I prefer to be outside with my hands in the nice warm dirt of the garden (and contemplating ways to string up the neighborhood cats using my flower gardens as "decorator litter boxes"). Sometimes, the raking of the leaves isn't nearly as important as getting outside for some fresh air...maybe he has some grandkids to help with the chore and adding some fun to it? Nothing like a leaf fight and the giggling to go along with it to heighten a grampa's spirits...

Notice, I prefer the nice warm dirt - today we are under a Winter Storm Warning and have received over five inches of snow since early this morning. I've had to dig my car out TWICE and will need to again prior to getting my son from school - looking forward to spring, but kind of enjoying the winter (can't fully appreciate the warmer seasons if you don't have the colder ones for contrast - fall and spring are my favorite seasons).

Take care of you and yours,

Becky