New User

bitsurfer

Hi All - I just discovered this site today. I'm a Stage IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer guy who was diagnosed 15 months ago with a big tumor on my hip which was subsequently removed. Lots of radiation and on-going Chemo have kept me going all this time, but I firmly believe it is my positive attitude and that which I expect from family and friends which helps me the most. I have a blog I've been writing if you are inclinced to follow the journey of a guy with a bad diagnosis, but a good attitude. I hope to read a lot of inspiring stories here. Best of luck to all of you/us. - Adam

Adam - welcome to the site. You obviously have a great attitude. I liked what you said in your "signature" -

I am now a better person and looking to help others

I hate cancer as much as the next person, but as much as I might like to not have cancer, I would not want to lose all of the lessons I've learned on this journey.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Diane

Hi Adam,

Welcome to LCSC,its always a pleasure to welcome a kid on the block,sorry for the reason you are here,but I can tell you its a great place to to hang out.Thank you for your blog My so called life,I really enjoyed reading it,think I will start a subcription to it.

You want to hear some good news stories?well at the risk of boring my buddies here,again,I attend a LC support group in Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow(thats in Bonnie Scotland by the way)the founding member is a guy called Robert Lowe who was dxd in 1993 with SCLC,given two months to live by his Doc,he was hospitalised for this chemo treatments,on more than one occassion his family was called to his bedside,since the his Docs did'nt think he would see the next day,however to his medical teams amazement,Robert goes on to make a full recovery.In 2007 he is then dxd with NSCLC,has a lobectomy,goes on to make a full recovery,Robert is now 72 years young,his energy and lust for life is a joy to see.I am so privileged to have him as a friend,he has certainly done much by his example to give me hope for a long future.Bye for now,have a great festive season,may 2012 be a vintage year for you and your family.

After yesterday's maintenance Chemo treatment (Avastin/Alimta) I met with my oncologist to discuss last weeks PET/CT scan. I received the best Hanukkah/Christmas present ever. Although the primary tumor in the right lower lobe still shows (at only 8mm), there is NED ANYWHERE. I will continue on the maintence program as Stage IV can never be ignored, but I am grateful to have good insurance, great family, great friends and an endless great attitude. They all contribute. I'm looking forward to my signature and focus more on helping others cope with cancer. Stats mean nothing!!!! :lol:

Stats can't predict the human spirit. Amen to that! Over a period of 15 years, five people in our family died from cancer or complications of it. I retired young to be a part of a solution in helping others with this disease. Volunteering at Gilda's Club was the first thing I did. It was amazing how awesome it was to see them light up with a smile when I greeted them by name, gave hugs when needed, encouragement and more.

Then I got lung cancer. I still gave my time as I could, but had surgery, chemo, and all of that. I do believe that if we can take the tough circumstances in our lives and turn them into doing things for others, it's the best outcome for all.

I admire your spirit, and home you come visit us in the Daily Air to chat and get to know you even better. We just chat in there about our day to day lives, sometimes about our treatments, but mostly to just be friends.

Judy in MI

Adam, welcome from another survivor (4+ yrs) with a bad dx and a great attitude. I've lost enough friends to know that staying positive is not always enough but I know it gives us a big old leg up.

I'll look forward to checking out your blog.

Judy in KW

Hi Adam,

My dad was just dx with Stage 4 lc a couple of weeks ago. He is staying positve but is having a hard time. I know he is scared and worried but he does not share and I dont push. I wanted any advice you could give me to help him.

Thanks,

Matt