Just starting the process

bjacksontex

I'm hoping for final diagnosis of 1A. Next week is PET scan. Following Monday is CT assisted biopsy. Was told that will take 7-9 hours and I'll be sedated. WTH? Doctor said it would be needle biopsy. Then, other tests and back to my doctor (thoracic surgeon) for surgery if it hasn't spread to other places. I knew I needed to find a forum to hear from others. Glad to be here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good Morning bjacksontex,Welcome to LCSC,always a pleasure to meet up with new friends.Wishing you all the best for test results and a successful treatment plan from your medical team.Do keep us informed with your progress.Bye for now.

B,

Stage 1A is indeed good news.  Early lung cancer finds are rare.  The CT assisted, likely needle biopsy, shouldn't be that difficult.  With 1A, the time estimate they gave you sounds odd but when they did my biopsy, my surgeon kept snipping lymph nodes to confirm my stage.  So mine was an extended process also but access was through the trachea.

Let us know how things turn out.

Stay the course.

Tom

hi Everyone! Thanks for the welcome. My PET is done and nothing else looks suspicious except for the one nodule. Had biopsy this past Monday. Tom, you were right. Uncomfortable but nothing too awful. The extra time was for monitoring for a pneumothorax. 7 1/2 hrs total. This Friday I have a pulmonary function test & arterial blood gas (ick) to assess my ability to handle surgery. Then, an hour later meet with my thoracic surgeon to discuss results and surgical options.

Randy, my hospital has two clinical trials the doctor is signing me up for. UT Southwestern in Dallas. I'm impressed so far.

3aSherie, what made me get tested? Well, funny you should ask. I made an appointment with my primary care doc, she walked in the door, and I said "please write an order for a CT scan". I'm high risk because I've smoked for 47 years (until the day I first saw the surgeon). Seven years ago my mother died of NSCLC. Since there is a genetic link, that was another factor. A week later I had the scan. The next day the doctor was calling with the results. Radiologist wrote "highly suspicious for carcinoma of lung. Right lower lobe.

So, here I am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barb,

Put on your battle dress, lock and load, and proceed purposefully to destroy the cancer.  

I assume either a resection of the tumor or a lower lobectomy (the right lung has 3 lobes, the left 2).  Your surgeon may not know which till he opens you up.  After surgery and recovery, you'll likely have a course of chemotherapy - informally called dust-up chemo.  It is designed to kill anything in your blood stream that might have been dislodged during surgery.  Might be a good idea to consult with a medical oncologist before surgery to coordinate the chemo.  UT Southwestern is a good place. 

Right about the arterial blood test.  Ask for a lidocaine injection to lesson the considerable discomfort.  The pulmonary function test is a piece of cake.  You breath hard into a device for 3 times and then they give you a does of inhaler and you repeat the test.  It is designed to see if you have adequate lung capacity to afford losing some capacity due to surgery. 

Your primary care physician is a hero!

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks Tom. My doc does the VATS robotic surgery. I have my Cancer binder with lots of questions to take to him tomorrow. Honestly, I'm thinking a lobectomy might be the best way to go instead of a wedge resection. I want that stuff outta here! I'm going to ask about coordination with oncologist tomorrow. It's on my list. My doc suggested keeping a cancer book and journaling. Good idea I think. Finding this site is another plus. I was up late last night reading a bunch of posts. Hearing everyone's story. Your journey is amazing.

Hi Sherie. I'm to have robotic lobectomy the end of October. Tests show only the one nodule. He wants me to get my diabetes in better control to help with healing. Also, he has all his surgical patients have pre- and post-surgical physical therapy again to assist in recovery. I'm seeing an endocrinologist tomorrow. Mentally, I'm in a good place. Nervous, but optimistic. The doctor will refer me to an oncologist after surgery, but he doesn't believe any chemo will be necessary.

Hi Barb, 

Thank you for keeping us updated. It's great to hear that the tests only show one nodule &  that you are in a good place. If you would like us to connect you with a mentor while you are going through this please let me know. I look forward to your next update. 

Hi Barb! Here is more information about the LifeLine Program I was telling you about. 

The LUNGevity LifeLine Support Program matches a lung cancer patient or caregiver with a LifeLine Support Partner.

LifeLine Support Partners are lung cancer survivors or co-survivors (family members and caregivers) who have walked the lung cancer path. They volunteer to mentor and offer encouragement, advice, experience, and hope to those newly diagnosed and anyone needing additional support through a one-on-one personal connection by email or telephone.

Volunteering for LifeLine is important. It’s a way to give back. It’s finding purpose in what we’ve been through.

- Matt Ellefson, stage IV ALK

LifeLine Partners can be a vital part of a newly diagnosed patient's support system and can help navigate through the logistics and emotions of a lung cancer diagnosis. LifeLine matches are made by gender, age group, and similar diagnosis whenever possible.

If you have been affected by lung cancer and would like to be matched with a LUNGevity LifeLine Support Partner, or if you are a survivor or co-survivor who would like to serve as a LifeLine partner, please fill out the form below. All information provided is kept confidential and is never shared with anyone except your support partner.

This program is a free service of LUNGevity Foundation.

Here is the link to get started: www.LUNGevity.org/LifeLine

If you have any questions feel free to post here on the message board or reach out to me any way that is easiest for you. 

Cindy