Concerned Daughter

Jenih702

Hello, My name is Jennifer (jeni) and I am terrified to lose my mother. The Oncologist keeps rescheduling and still hasn't started mom's chemo and radiation treatments. I am trying my best to cope but I am very scared. Just looking for a little support and maybe some tips as I am the one who is generally with her. I'm lost and angry.

Jeni,

What is going on with your mother? Why does the Oncologist keep rescheduling?

Are they waiting for prior approval from your mom's insurance? Let us know how we can support you!!

Ro

Hi, Jeni, and welcome.

You've come to the right place--this is a great place for information and support.  

Can you tell us a bit more about your mom's diagnosis (type of lung cancer, stage, test results, etc.)?  That way we can provide the most helpful info.  

Try not to worry too much about the delays--sometimes they are necessary to ensure the right treatment is given, and in an appropriate way. Usually brief delays in the beginning don't make or break anything.  Delay is more likely to be a problem when people avoid going for testing or diagnosis because they are afraid.  Those delays can be a lot longer and more problematic.   

Ro...

The doc keeps saying he hasn't received all of the lab results, I can understand that but it has been 3 reschedules already. She was diagnosed the end of July and still nothing has started. I don't know if thats a good sign the doc not getting her immediatly or a really bad thing because she is just waiting amd gettimg worse. Im just lost and unsure. Thank you for responding.

What lab results is the doctor waiting for?  What tests has she had--a biopsy?  CT?  PET-CT?  

Do you know the size of the nodule/mass and the type of cancer (adenocarcinoma, squamous, small cell, etc.)?  

You should at least be getting a detailed explanation for the reasons for the delay and the need for the lab results before treatment can begin.  If you're not getting that, it might be time to find a different doctor.

Jeni,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's (pending) full diagnosis and even sorrier that the doc seems to be taking forever to get things started.  3 1/2 months from initial diagnosis to possible treatment seems like forever.  I can tell you that my mom was originally diagnosed around Thanksgiving and did not have surgery until 2 months later.  It was another 2.5 months after surgery that she finally started chemo and radiation.  The delay wasn't due to testing, but other things, so it wasn't as frustrating as what you are going thru, but still worrisome.  I would not take the rescheduling as a sign of good or bad regarding your mom's cancer, but perhaps a lack of good communication from the doc or worse, a lack of competency.  The fact that they want to be sure of all test results first is a good thing but the fact that it is taking this long is hard for those who are doing the waiting.  I don't know if it's an extreme time to wait, but I do know that treatment doesn't usually begin as quickly as we would like.  You have every right to ask what is taking so long and vent your worry about treatment being delayed several times.  Make the doc reasonably answer your question. Continue to ask questions until you feel they have answered them.  Awhile ago, a fellow forum member reminded me that we are the customers, we have every right to have our questions reasonably answered because we are paying for the service.

Take Care,

Steff

Jeni,

Keep calling until you get someone who will let you know what the plan is. If possible, try to bring someone else with you to the appointments because there is often a ton of information to try to digest and it's good if someone can take notes. When you say your mom is getting worse, do you mean she is having symptoms? How old is your mom? I think Lexicat asked all the questions that I would ask as well!! Don't take no for an answer...keep after them until you get a response!!

Ro

Archived